Propshaft removal

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Post Reply
Grumpy21
Minor Fan
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:00 am
MMOC Member: No

Propshaft removal

Post by Grumpy21 »

I’ve a little play in the ujs leading to a slight vid faction above 30mph ( that’s my assumption anyway)

New UJs are on the way and I’ve done the job before on MGs

How much oil can I expect to lose out of the gearbox if the car is level? It’s got fresh oil in there and I’d rather no drain it all out again if I can avoid doing so.

Thanks
User avatar
svenedin
Minor Legend
Posts: 4999
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:27 am
Location: Surrey
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Propshaft removal

Post by svenedin »

Strain the gearbox oil and just reuse it. You can get a funnel with a wire mesh strainer.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
User avatar
Bill_qaz
Minor Legend
Posts: 2392
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:31 pm
Location: Oxfordshire
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Propshaft removal

Post by Bill_qaz »

Or raise the back of the car as high as you can to tilt the box forwards. Clean container below gearbox tail to catch any small loss, rubber glove wrapped and cable tied on box as you pull shaft out of splines.
Regards Bill
User avatar
King Kenny
Minor Fan
Posts: 428
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:01 pm
MMOC Member: No

Re: Propshaft removal

Post by King Kenny »

I found that an appropriately sized spray can lid fitted the end of the gearbox. Oil loss was minimal.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
59Elva
Minor Fan
Posts: 234
Joined: Fri May 15, 2026 2:59 pm
Location: USA, upstate ny
MMOC Member: No

Re: Propshaft removal

Post by 59Elva »

I just finished R&R my prop shaft. The truck had a significant transmission leak so I wanted to replace the tailpiece seal. What I found was disturbing. Yesterday I replaced the deteriorated transmission mounts. There are supposed to be a left and right bracket. I have two lefts which doesn’t work on the right side. Slotting the holes wasn’t an option so I inverted the right bracket as I had originally found it. I don’t like preserving a bodge but everything seems to line up ok.
The yoke shaft was in poor condition with pits and ridges along the length. I managed to mostly polish them out. In this case the missing tubular shied was a blessing.
The worst thing was after tapping off the old seal I found the tail shaft was badly damaged and repaired with epoxy. Now I’m not sure if that was the location of the leak. I think I’ll smear some epoxy around the outside of the new seal.
By the way oil loss from the whole ordeal was pretty minimal. I cut a screwdriver slot in the fill plug and painted it yellow. I’ve found it much easier to get the plug started with a screwdriver. The plug usually falls out of a socket even with the tape trick. The yellow paint makes it easier to see thru the access hole in the floor.
Attachments
IMG_2471.jpeg
IMG_2471.jpeg (1.96 MiB) Viewed 149 times
IMG_2451.jpeg
IMG_2451.jpeg (2.59 MiB) Viewed 149 times
IMG_2469.jpeg
IMG_2469.jpeg (2.1 MiB) Viewed 149 times
Bill B. ‘59 Pickup USA
User avatar
Bill_qaz
Minor Legend
Posts: 2392
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:31 pm
Location: Oxfordshire
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Propshaft removal

Post by Bill_qaz »

A jubilee clip around the outer would give you a shoulder to build up the epoxy to. :tu1:
Regards Bill
Post Reply