4.22 diff mated to a 918 side valve engine?

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

4.22 diff mated to a 918 side valve engine?

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Just out of curiosity, how would a 4.22 diff work with a 918 side valve engine?
I appreciate that it would probably be not very quick off the mark but then they were never that fast anyway.
However, would it make it more relaxed at the higher end of it's power / speed range?
Would such an arrangement mean that a car, that was otherwise standard, could sit at say 60mph rather than topping out at around 50?
All hypothetical but I've seen early series 2's upgraded to a 1098 set up and it got me wondering, if you reverted back to the original 918 engine and gearbox, would the later axle / diff be better than the original (plus save time, effort and money sourcing an original rear axle / diff)?
Has it ever been tried?
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: 4.22 diff mated to a 918 side valve engine?

Post by oliver90owner »

There is only so much one can do with the available power. Depending on the power curve, the engine may not be able to attain its available performance potential easily - except in very favourable conditions.

13” wheels with low profile tyres might be an acceptable situation with the higher ratio diff?
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

I'd say no - it would be too high geared.

The standard Series MM diff ratio is 4.55:1 (same as a 948 Minor) and in my experience that is already plenty. It's also quite a bit taller geared than the Series II which is 5.375:1 - that has around the same top sped as the Series MM but is revving a lot higher. You can do the calculations, but with the standard 4.55:1 diff the engine isn't red-lining at its top speed, as it doesn't have enough power to get there, which suggests to me that it's a lack of power rather than revving out that limits its speed.

Also remember that the 4.22:1 diff is the Austin axle which is totally different to the Nuffield one in the Series MM, so it would not be a straightforward swap in any case.

I'm a little confused though - if you're talking about Series II cars, it's the 803 OHV engine rather than the sidevalve. The same would apply to that though - 4.55:1 would be as high as I would go (also having owned one in the past!).
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

M
I fitted a later axle with the 4.22:1 diff back in the 70's (and 8 inch front drums) to my MM and it seems 'ok' and happiest at about 55.
Cruising speeds were a lot lower in the old days!