Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Guildbass
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

indicator repeater light mod.

Post by Guildbass »

My '68 of course has the solid spoke steering wheel, and due to my torso height, when the indicator stalk is down to indicate right, it aligns with that wheel spoke and I can't see it at all. It self returns poorly in that direction as well, so I decided to come up with a low impact solution.

I went onto ebay and found the smallest 12v LED i could see. This was a tiny little clear bead about the size of the head of a safety match.
It was pre-wired with red and black wires and with 12v through it shone green. Very bright 'on axis' almost invisible if viewed from the side.

I slipped some heat shrink up both cables to cover part of the bottom part of the LED to give it some rigidity and give the fine wires attached to it some protection.

I then soldered a length of two core bell wire on and heat shrunk those joins too.

The shelf area in front of the driver has a rounded metal surround holding the edge of the glove box card insert and that could be pulled away just enough to feed the bell wire through until just the heatshrunk led was left visible to the driver.
The wire ran over the top of the card insert.
On the engine side, I saw a small hole just above the triangular alloy wiring loom flange fitting. It was a tad small for my twin bell wire but an 8mm drill eased it out enough.
I fed the wire through from inside the car and found a suitable little grommet to keep sharp edges away from the cable.

I then cut the bell wire twin pair to length, separated and stripped the ends, pulled off the spade connector females on the flasher can, slid my stripped ends up into them and pushed the connectors back down onto the spades..
On my positive earth car, the positive of the LED (white stripe side on the bell wire) went onto the connector nearest the wing, the -Ve on the opposite side nearest the battery tray. The middle connector remaining untouched.

Works brilliantly! (literally!)

A bright green flashing light looking straight at me whenever I forget to cancel! If it turns out to be TOO bright, a dab of something on the top of the tiny bullet shaped LED will take the worst of it away, but certainly in daylight, its excellent, especially as there's no audible 'tick tick' ito be heard in the cabin...