Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Donald Ross
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

The 2 different Shades of Trafalgar Blue

Post by Donald Ross »

Hi

I thought it would be interesting to bring this subject up again for all those who have Trafalgar Blue Minors.

I am aware there are 2 different shades both using the same BU37 paint code which can make it confusing when trying to figure out which shade you have.

I did not realize this until i bought some new BU37 and it was a different shade.

I believe the older minors use a slightly darker version and the later ( maybe late 60s early 70s cars) use a lighter shade of Trafalgar Blue paint.

My car is 1970 and i believe the paint to be original and it is the lighter of the 2 shades. Its unfortunate that when looking to buy new this paint BU37 is going to be a 50/50 chance of which shade you get. The darker version seems to be much easier to get in tin form than the lighter one is. I bought a spray can from ESM some time ago and it was the lighter shade which is what mine is, then another time i bought a BU37 tin from another supplier and it was the darker shade.

I am now looking to get a tin of the correct lighter shade as my touch up tin is too old now and the paint does not dry properly. Does anyone know where i could get the lighter BU37 from?

See my photo below of a comparison i have done on a spare piece of metal with my 1970 Minor lighter BU37 on the left and also Morris Minor BU37 ( i assume the earlier shade) on the Right.

Quite a big difference when you see them side by side.

Donald
Attachments
Morris Minor trafalgar blue shade comparison.jpg
Morris Minor trafalgar blue shade comparison.jpg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 3067 times
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Re: The 2 different Shades of Trafalgar Blue

Post by Bill_qaz »

Had the opposite, I purchased online a tin of brush touch up and it's way too light for my 62 trafalger blue. Had a paint shop mix a small touch up pot based on a sample panel, that came with the car, much closer but not perfect. Difficult touching up on old weathered oaint but better than rust spot :tu1:
Regards Bill
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Probably the same for Blue, but in the case of my experiences with Almond Green, it also doesn't help when different manufacturers have (or at least had, maybe things have improved) different shades under the same code.
dp
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by dp »

More and more places can scan your car and mix aerosols to exactly match. A boon if you're just painting a small part. I know of one on Canvey island and another in Watford. I can look up addresses if either of those aren't too far from you.
Donald Ross
Minor Friendly

Post by Donald Ross »

Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately i am in Scotland so these places would be to far from me.

Regards
Donald