National Rally 2024 - Feedback

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

National Rally 2024 - Feedback

Post by simmitc »

2024 was the first time that we have tried a rally at this location, and so would really like to know what everyone thought. What was good, what was not good? What did you think of the location and site?

If yo did not attend, why not, what would attract you to come to a rally?

All feedback, good or bad, welcome as long as it;s respectful of the Ts&Cs of the Board.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Re: National Rally 2024 - Feedback

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I had a good time and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a nice change.
I think it is good to vary the location from year to year, though personally I would be quite happy to go back there again in a couple of years when they've had cause / time to change the museum exhibits around a bit. That way it will be fresh.
No harm in going back to locations that have worked well for the club in the past but maybe not year after year.
That said, I appreciate all the time and hard work involved that goes into organising our national rallies and in finding suitable venues for them, so please don't think the above is in any way a criticism.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

It was my first National and I thought it was fantastic! Much of my time was spent on the Dual Personality Register stand trying to promote awareness of and attracting new entrants onto the DP register.....and I'm happy to report that success was achieved in both areas.

The fact that the rally took place at a location I had been longing to go to for ages was a real bonus. Because of my commitment to the DPR, it did mean that I had to whizz round both museums rather quicker than I would have liked. Similarly, I would have loved to have spent a bit more time looking at some of the fantastic Minors on show and chatting to their owners.

This morning I was talking to a fellow owner, who was staying in the same nearby B 'n B as my wife and me. He was a serial National attendee and whilst he enjoyed it very much too, his only slightly critical comment was that he thought it lacked a bit of 'atmosphere' as he put it. Basically, he was saying that Nationals at other locations had attracted a fair few members of the general public, with whom owners were happy to engage.......presumably to explain what they were missing in not being part of the Moggy fraternity! :D

For my part, I can neither confirm nor deny this apparent 'lack of atmosphere', because as I said, I've never before been to a national rally.

All I know is that I thoroughly enjoyed the whole weekend and if, as I believe, it was administratively much easier for the club staff to put on and it was a much more cost effective option then that's it's a double winner for me and I would be more than happy to return to Gaydon next year.

It would be remiss of me not to express my heart-felt thanks and appreciation for all the hard-working club staff and volunteers who arranged the whole shebang.

I'll confess to being particularly chipper about the weekend as, despite my completely unfounded reservations, my Moggy covered the round trip of 255 miles with missing a proverbial beat. Far and away its longest trip under my custodianship! That's why we love 'em, isn't it? :D :D
Mr Spigot
Minor Fan

Post by Mr Spigot »

Our first National Rally was at Knebworth in 1989 and then children, work and life got in the way, but having restored the family Morris Minor for our son's wedding in 2022 (after it sat for 13 years in the garage!) we decided to drive the 225 miles to Chateau Impney last year for the 75th anniversary rally. That fired our enthusiasm and we decided to go again this year to Gaydon. We thoroughly enjoyed both events, the highlight meeting such a lovely bunch of friendly, funny and helpful fellow Morris Minor owners and seeing some inspirational cars at all levels of condition - You would not find two cars the same there!
To give some feedback comparing the two venues:
Chateau Impney
Pro's: Lovely parkland setting with lots of trees and grass -perfect to sit out in or stroll round on a warm day.
Cons: Facilities were relatively basic and it was a shame the house itself was not open to look inside.
Gaydon:
Pro's: Easy to find, plenty of room, fascinating museum, restaurant, nice loos and lots of alternative things to look at. Great band.
Con's: A lot of concrete with no shade (lucky we had a nice breeze and a bit of cloud from time to time) although it made organising the parking a lot easier and plenty of room for everything close together..
Overall, I'd be happy going back to both venues and perhaps it is good to move around. Thanks to all the organisers and volunteers for all the hard work. These events don't 'just happen'! As Kipling said: "Our England is a garden and such gardens are not made by saying "Oh, how beautiful" and sitting in the shade"
Attachments
Mostyn at Gaydon 24.jpg
Mostyn at Gaydon 24.jpg (92.84 KiB) Viewed 983 times
1960 2 door with 1275 Midget engine - WOI 577 - owned since 1990
1952 MM convertible with original engine - MWD 305 - owned since 2023
Stevearniepalmer
Minor Friendly

Post by Stevearniepalmer »

Thanks for the opportunity to give feedback.
I have visited several National Rallies and always stay in a local Premier Inn.
This year was no different and I stayed about 25 minutes away in Stratford Upon Avon.
I really enjoyed the Saturday ,lots of people to chat to ,museum interesting ,nice cafe .
However I found the atmosphere on Sunday very different.Possibly because the weather wasn’t nearly as good and I don’t think there was as many people there.I tried to engage with fellow owners but it didn’t seem as friendly to me with lots of people polishing and washing cars and not really wanting to chat.

One point I think needs making is the price .Previous Nationals have been about £15.00 for the weekend per car.This National was £19.00 per person.I might have got this wrong but I did hear a lot of conversations about people from local clubs to me not wanting to attend because of the hike in price.
All in all I really enjoyed the weekend and congratulations must go to the hard working team who put this altogether.