Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Meggie moggy
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

grease lower trunion

Post by Meggie moggy »

Hi all
I have a issue with the N/S lower trunion.i can not get any grease in, I have replaced the nipple and tried to poke a small screwdriver in with the nipple removed. The screwdriver bottoms out quickly but does ho in much further when I do it to the O/S. I have tried placing a jack under the suspension to take the presdure but to no avail.
Is there something I can squirt in to clear yhe trunion out?
Also the nipple foes not seem to lock in tightly and has come off with the grease gun on the occasions I have tried, would PTFE tape help this?
TIA
Steve
Meggie living in West Sussex. Slowly being restored.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Re: grease lower trunion

Post by myoldjalopy »

It sounds like something is blocked. I know you say you fitted a new nipple but its worth removing it and seeing if grease can be pumped through it. If the nipple is OK and clearing the hole in the trunnion as best you can doesn't help you may have to remove the trunnion and examine it. If it hasn't been greased for a long time the old grease can go quite hard. Careful application of heat may melt the old, hard grease so that you can pump in new grease but there is a danger of ruining the rubber dust seal (assuming it is present still) and its probably better to remove the trunnion and examine it.
If the nipple pulls out while greasing, it may be the wrong size, or the threads in the trunnion may be damaged.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

If you do heat the trunnion to soften the grease and you ruin the seals or seals you can always replace the seals without stripping the trunnion/swivel by using the Dorset MMOC Branch split seals.
https://www.morrisminorspares.com/front ... r-p1239141
https://www.morrisminorspares.com/front ... r-p1239142
Some of the lower trunnions have a baffle inside and between the bronze trunnion bushes to deflect grease to the swivel. The grease may be packed hard inside the trunnion. If the trunnion has a deflector it cannot be removed to assist in cleaning out the old grease. If you cannot get grease to the trunnion I would advise that the trunnion is removed, examined and any old grease washed out. Make sure that grease is passing through the trunnion before re-fitting.

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Yes, if you did damage the seals by heating the trunnion in situ, the Dorset Branch seals would save dismantling the trunnion. Worth a go, I think.
Meggie moggy
Minor Friendly

Post by Meggie moggy »

Hi guys
Thank you for the replies I think I may have got there, I heated up a very thin screwdriver and had a good poke and prod which seemed to clear some gunk. So much so that the nipple screwed in properly and grease when in with some coming out of the top.
Looking at the trunion I think the rubber seal is OK but the split seals you have shown do look like a game changer👍👍
Meggie living in West Sussex. Slowly being restored.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Result! :D