Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
AndyC
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Pull starter

Post by AndyC »

Hi all,

Got an issue which I hope someone can help with.
Today after no previous problems pull the starter button and nothing happens - after several pulls starts again.
I’ve tightened all the connections is it likely to be the solenoid ?
Thanks in advance
Andy
simmitc

Re: Pull starter

Post by simmitc »

As you have a pull starter, you do not have a solenoid, which is fitted only with a key start system. However, the problem is likely to be the contacts within the heavy duty switch that you are pulling. However, it could also be the starter motor hesitating.

With the ignition OFF for safety, handbrake on and gear in neutral, look under the bonnet and identify the switch. It should have a pin protruding between the terminals. You can try spraying some switch cleaner (not WD40 or similar) around the shaft. With a heavy duty jump lead, clamp one end onto one terminal and touch the other end onto the other terminal. If the motor turns over every time, then the motor is OK and the switch is faulty; if the motor does not spin then that is likely to require attention and the switch is probably OK.

When the motor does not turn, you can also try using a spanner on the square shaft at the front end of the starter motor to turn it a little and then try the switch again.

Replacing either the switch or the starter motor are simple operations, but disconnect the battery before commencing work.
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

AndyC wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:27 pm after several pulls starts again.
What if you use two hands to pull it? Does it start instantly that way?

I know that sounds an odd question, but mine now only starts if you pull it with two hands, used to only need one.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

The Pull Start is simply you pulling against a spring pressure to manually close a set of heavy duty contacts.
You could try a little electrical contact cleaner on the 'button' part of the mechanism (on the switch under the bonnet, not on the Pull Sw in the car) to see if that seeps down the shaft to lubricate the insides. If it's original, it could be a bit dried out inside.

As simmitc says, it might be the Starter Motor itself that's telling you it needs some TLC.
Chief wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:51 pm What if you use two hands to pull it? Does it start instantly that way?

I know that sounds an odd question, but mine now only starts if you pull it with two hands, used to only need one.
The same maintenance tip might help you with the Double Hand Pull situation.... :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Try simply pressing the switch pin previously mentioned. It should activate the starter motor.
If it does, then some switch cleaner may sort it, as suggested. It is also possible that the cable is not functioning properly. I once had a similar problem to the OP and, on investigation, I noticed the nut that secures the switch behind the glovebox was a bit loose. It took a couple of turns to make it nice and snug and the pull start was fine from then on.......
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

geoberni wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:10 am The same maintenance tip might help you with the Double Hand Pull situation.... :wink:
True, I did wonder about it. Of course, it's only been doing it for 14 years or so now :D
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Chief wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:24 am
geoberni wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:10 am The same maintenance tip might help you with the Double Hand Pull situation.... :wink:
True, I did wonder about it. Of course, it's only been doing it for 14 years or so now :D
:lol: :lol:
Basil the 1955 series II