Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mgl963
MMOC Member: Yes

Tyre sizes and supplier recommendations Taunton or Newton abbot areas

Post by mgl963 »

Hi
I’m looking to change all 4 tyres on my 1966 moggy saloon .
It still has the standard wheels it left factory with .
Can anyone recommend best size tyres and where I can source them in Devon / Somerset
Thanks
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Re: Tyre sizes and supplier recommendations Taunton or Newton abbot areas

Post by Bill_qaz »

Had excellent service from vintage tyres, fitted 4 new Camac https://www.vintagetyres.com/camac-bn31 ... 145r14-76s
Regards Bill
Rose taupe
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by Rose taupe »

I live not far from Newton Abbot and was once employed at National Tyres, I have purchased a set of 5.1/2 j steel wheels that look a perfect match for the original Morris wheels except of course they are wider and settled on a set of Kumho 165/70/14 tyres to match, but found a problem when trying to get them fitted to the wheels, it appears that unless the tyres were purchased from the tyre company, they did not want to fit them, although my tyres were brand new and came from a warehouse supplier, and of course, the people fitting them would be able to charge me for valves and balance, they were reluctant to take on the job, I would have thought that as long as they were making some money from the transaction then all would be ok, but no, so maybe going to a small independent company would be better.
A radial tyre to replace the standard cross-ply would be a 145/80/14, but to have a wider tyre but keep the same height, you would need to increase the width from 145 to 165 and reduce the profile from 80 to 70 while retaining the 14inch rim, this would not fit the standard Morris wheel which is 3inch wide and increasing to a 5 1/2inch is needed, also there is the added advantage of running the tyre tubeless, whereas the old rims were tube type, don't forget that the Morris does not have power steering so going even wider would make it difficult to turn at slow speed ( like when parking). I hope that helps.
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

Google blockley tyres and get a local garage to fit them.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

Blockley tyres are excellent. SO much better than Camac :-?
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I asked around my local independent garages as to who could fit and balance tyres that I would provide.

Many tyre places are quite 'arsey' and won't fit tyres they haven't supplied, those garages that will do the work often want around £15 - £18 a tyre or more.

In the end, I got a quote from my local independent who has worked my modern cars for many years and he charged me £60 for all 5, inc of £1 each disposal fee, I just took them in and left them with him, they were ready a few hours later.

I had him fit a set of Blockleys. The difference in overall ride compared to the old ones was noticeable.
Basil the 1955 series II