Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Owlsman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Dual/Split Personality Register

Post by Owlsman »

I thought it would be a bit unfair to hi-jack a recent topic 'Minor Seats'.....particularly as I have nothing meaningful to contribute to the OP's original question but reading the subsequent posts did remind me that since my post on the Dual Personality Register, I have omitted to mention that in addition to the F/book page we now have a website up and running: www.dualpersonalitymorrisminors.co.uk

There are over 40 Moggies on the register now, although there must me many more out there. My fellow co-registrar (Jack Howkins) and I have been persuaded to have a stand at the National in June, so we are hopeful that will generate lots of interest and quite a few more entries to log on the register. At the recent Barnsley Branch annual rally, I had a bit of a trial run with the stand and the promo material we have had produced - see photo.

Whether you are a Dual Personality owner or not and if you are going to Gaydon, do feel free to drop by the stand and make yourself known to us. If you think you have a DP Minor and have not yet put it on the register either PM me or go to the F/b page or the website and download an application form. Thanks.

Alan
Attachments
Graves Park Barnsley Rally.jpg
Graves Park Barnsley Rally.jpg (2.32 MiB) Viewed 595 times
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Re: Dual/Split Personality Register

Post by Bill_qaz »

Alan I was reading the description on the website and it says open gloveboxes mine has hinge down lids.
Internet_20220104_203838_8.jpeg
Internet_20220104_203838_8.jpeg (19.54 KiB) Viewed 583 times
Regards Bill
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

None of the cars with duotone interior had the glovebox lids fitted originally. They can be added later of course - all the required holes are punched into the bodywork already! Many of our old cars are not as original as we like to think are they.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

ManyMinors wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:50 am Many of our old cars are not as original as we like to think are they.
Very true, from the limited documents I have, I've worked out that it was as late as 1999 when a PO decided to fit indicators when fitting a new loom, and chose to fit the interim '61-'63 style.... which probably makes him fairly unique as a Split Screen...
Basil the 1955 series II

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

I would say very few of the older models are original now. Even if they have been maintained to the original specs, many parts will have been replaced at some time or another - tyres immediately come to mind. A truly original car (or as close to as you might expect to find nowadays) are more likely to be found in a museum than on someones driveway or garage.
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

Alan I was reading the description on t ... down lids.

Yes, as others have commented, there will but a handful of truly original (i.e. as they left the factory) cars left. Indeed, my own Dual Personality Minor does not have duotone seats, as when the previous owner carried out a major refurbishment, he preferred seating material to be just one colour.....so that's what I've got - although the door cards are duotone!

Since in my ownership, I have carried out a number of 'non-standard' modifications but wherever possible, I do like to retain the original appearance, such as fitting a Dynamator alternator rather than a standard one and fitting orange LED indicators, so as to retain the original look of the light fittings.

The chassis number is pretty much the acid test of what constitutes a DP Minor irrespective of what the current specification is. There are already quite a few DP vehicles on the register that have been subject to major changes, and they are just as valid as any others.

I'd be delighted to receive details of ANY Dual Personality Minors that I can add to the register - A form is available on the Facebook page or on the website. Look out for the DPR stand too at the National........my wife can hardly contain her excitement at ''having to spend two days in a field''!! :roll:
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

Wasn't the duotone interior only used on deluxe models?
Steve Phillips
Minor Fan

Post by Steve Phillips »

ManyMinors wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:50 am None of the cars with duotone interior had the glovebox lids fitted originally. They can be added later of course - all the required holes are punched into the bodywork already! Many of our old cars are not as original as we like to think are they.
This is a picture of my DP 1964 traveller with duotone interior and glovebox lids, as far as I know this is how the car came new in 64, is this incorrect then?

Steve
Attachments
mog int.jpg
mog int.jpg (619.61 KiB) Viewed 476 times
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

jaekl wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:01 pm Wasn't the duotone interior only used on deluxe models?
Yes, from Oct '61 it was part of Deluxe spec (according to Ray's Book :wink: )
Basil the 1955 series II

Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

This is a picture of my DP 1964 traveller with duotone interior and glovebox lids, as far as I know this is how the car came new in 64, is this incorrect then?
The short answer is......I don't know!

I found nothing from what I inherited when setting up the register (which was basically diddly squat :-( ) nor anything from any subsequent research to indicate that glove box fronts were fitted to the later DP vehicles. Looks like something else to add to my list of things to try and find out at Gaydon. :D
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Steve Phillips wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:55 pm
ManyMinors wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:50 am None of the cars with duotone interior had the glovebox lids fitted originally. They can be added later of course - all the required holes are punched into the bodywork already! Many of our old cars are not as original as we like to think are they.

Steve
Yes Steve. It doesn't matter two hoots, but your car would not have had the lids originally. It would have had the open gloveboxes with "chrome" plastic trim around the outside. The glovebox lids are from an earlier model :-?
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

ManyMinors wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 4:15 pm
Steve Phillips wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:55 pm

Steve
Yes Steve. It doesn't matter two hoots, but your car would not have had the lids originally. It would have had the open gloveboxes with "chrome" plastic trim around the outside. The glovebox lids are from an earlier model :-?
What is this info based on? according to Gaydon archive mine was built October 1962 and I would find it hard to believe the lids are retro fitted looking at them. At this early stage of series 5 do you not think lots of parts may have been used up until the later version of the series hence the dual personality.
Mine was duo tone from build with adjustable drivers seat and I believe it’s a deluxe 4 door.
Not that any of this matters its just interesting, It had lots of further mods , some by previous owners and some by myself and personally I don't care about originality I just enjoy the car :tu1:
Regards Bill
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Bill_qaz wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:13 pm
What is this info based on?
Well here's an infographic I made last month and posted to facebook, basically because there were so many posts about glovebox covers...
I made this up by using the car number details for change points, given in the original Parts Manual.

So as your car is Oct 62, that's a whole year after they stopped fitting them.
Minor Glovebox Timeline.JPG
Minor Glovebox Timeline.JPG (126.64 KiB) Viewed 358 times
Basil the 1955 series II

Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

So do you have a picture of series 5 pre face lift?
Two Internet pictures stated as 1962 also with lids.
Screenshot_20240526-163929_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20240526-163929_Google.jpg (147.32 KiB) Viewed 334 times
r
Screenshot_20240526-163827_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20240526-163827_Google.jpg (129.18 KiB) Viewed 334 times
Regards Bill
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I'm just going by the details in the AKD 3542.
Unless someone can provide definitive proof that the Parts Manual is wrong, and let's face it for many years that's how people brought parts (so you'd like to think the details are correct) by providing their car number, glove box covers were discontinued at car number 935632, in Oct 1961.

You can download a copy from here: http://www.caroholic.com/images/AKD3542 ... _Parts.pdf

The style you illustrate you can find on page 261/262 of the pdf, items 18-29.

Personally, I can't believe they had so many 1,000s of glovebox covers laying around the factory they were still fitting them a year later :o :o

Fitting glovebox covers isn't difficult, I got a pair for my late SII and they fitted. I haven't got around to fitting the passenger side yet as I need to make up a bracket for the steady, but the driver side I took apart and used the chrome surround to mount my extra gauges.
20181209_134136.jpg
20181209_134136.jpg (532.96 KiB) Viewed 324 times
Basil the 1955 series II

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

One possibility is that the original purchasers of these vehicles stipulated that they wanted gloveboxes fitted, and if the dealers were happy to oblige there may only have been a handful of these particular cars with this combination of features.......
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

myoldjalopy wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:16 pm One possibility is that the original purchasers of these vehicles stipulated that they wanted gloveboxes fitted, and if the dealers were happy to oblige there may only have been a handful of these particular cars with this combination of features.......
Yes, they were available as spare parts, so a dealer could fit if requested, if enterprising they could offer them as an accessory, or anyone competent with a screwdriver could fit them.
Basil the 1955 series II