Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Classiccars
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Clutch

Post by Classiccars »

Can you please advise what this part is.Noticed the crimped pipe as working on clutch slave cylinder and think they may be connected.I lays a few inches back from the slave cylinder.
20240505_112740.jpg
20240505_112740.jpg (890.59 KiB) Viewed 164 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Clutch

Post by philthehill »

That looks to be a master cylinder of some sort mounted on the gearbox cross member.
I note that you have fiberglass gearbox cover. Non standard gearbox per chance?
The delivery pipe from the rear of the Minor brake master cylinder is lower right.

Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Thank you yes a 5 speed etc.As I have removed the clutch slave cylinder and also that bent pipe can you please advise the best way to bleed the system.I know about pushing the clutch down and using the rod to clear the slave cylinder via the bleed nipple but would this bleed the cylinder show when I put the pipe back on would you think.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

You should have no problems bleeding the clutch slave cylinder using the method quoted below.
Undo the bleed nipple, press down the clutch pedal, tighten bleed nipple whilst holding the pedal down, let pedal back up, undo bleed nipple, press pedal down, tighten bleed nipple whilst holding the pedal down, let pedal back. Repeat until air is excluded from system.
You will need two persons, one on the bleed nipple and one on the pedal. Make sure that you keep the fluid reservoir topped up otherwise all will be in vain. Use a piece of pipe from the bleed nipple into a glass jar part filled with brake fluid. Keep the end of the pipe below the brake fluid as that will help keep air out of the system and you will see any air bubbles that come out of the pipe.
I have a similar set up on my Minor and never had a problem with bleeding the system.

Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Thanks very much.