Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Guildbass
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Wood and breathers.

Post by Guildbass »

Went out yesterday to treat the black staining that has started on a couple of the Traveller's joints.
I sanded the varnish (or whatever it is0 down to mostly wood, mixed up some acid crystals, soaked a fresh washing up sponge with it and taped the sponge over the joint to go overnight. Seems to be working to a degree...

While I was there I thought to have a look at the crankcase breather having enjoyed the chat on the different types and the possibility that 50 year old steel gauze had disintegrated and blocked it.
Imagine my surprise when I looked only to find the metal breather pipe from the forward chest cover simply loops up and then vertically back down with the whole arrangement snug to the block with nothing at all on the end. it is neatly tucked in and appears to be a factory type arrangement...

Any knowledge on what is going on???
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Wood and breathers.

Post by svenedin »

That’s an open breather or draft tube and was the factory system on earlier cars. Rocker cover with breather tube to air cleaner and tappet chest draft tube. With clean air concerns the car makers moved to closed breather systems because the open type is venting crankcase fumes to atmosphere. It was also thought that the closed system reduced oil leaks from the engine by connecting the breather to engine vacuum.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Guildbass
Minor Friendly

Post by Guildbass »

Ah, OK. I imagined my 'G' reg '68 would be a 'later' rather than an earlier car.
I think my engine's coming out anyway as it sounds like the mains are a bit grumbly and I want to address the 'ticking' which isn't rockers, and sounds a bit 'cam follower-y...
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by svenedin »

My car is “G” actually and has a PCV. Does your car have the original engine? If it does the parts did get swapped around. I do not know the dates when breathing systems changed.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Guildbass
Minor Friendly

Post by Guildbass »

No idea. I assumed so as it's a relatively virgin low mileage one lady owner for decades car but I can't be sure.