Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Michiel
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Octane value in the sixties

Post by Michiel »

I know that in the sixties, when my car was made :-), a variety of fuels was available, like standard, extra premium et cetera. But to get an idea, what were the octane ratings/values of these fuels. Is there a contributor with an excellent memory amongst us?
Finished rescuing a 1967 2-door. Define finished....
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Octane value in the sixties

Post by Myrtles Man »

Friday 17th March 1967

Star grading of petrol was introduced in the UK based on a British Standard set of octane ratings. Under this system one star was the lowest grade, 2 star was 92 octane, 3 star 95 octane 4 star 98 octane and 5 star 101 octane. The lower end was for the low tuned/low compression older design of engine, the middle range for more modern higher compression engines and five star was for large, fast and powerful engines. Most cars would run happily on three star petrol (assuming the timing was set correctly) but most motorists seemed to believe that four star was ‘better’. Most stations offered two, three, four and five star grades.

(Lifted from 365 Days of Motoring website - Google is your friend)
Michiel
Minor Fan

Post by Michiel »

So maybe my humble automobile was always driven with 95 octane fuel at the time... same as modern E10
rocco
Minor Fan

Post by rocco »

I don't think 3-star fuel is the same as E10 is it?

The old star rating would have contained lead for a start. I'm not sure whether they also contained ethanol back then though.
1961 Morris Minor 1000
Michiel
Minor Fan

Post by Michiel »

No, with regard to ignition settings. But that's another topic :)
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by geoberni »

rocco wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:07 am I don't think 3-star fuel is the same as E10 is it?

The old star rating would have contained lead for a start. I'm not sure whether they also contained ethanol back then though.
A lot of petrol contained ethanol. There's loads about it online. But nobody got uptight about it like now, possibly because the amount of alcohol additive wasn't published.
At one point, early 1920s, ethanol was used instead of lead as an anti-knock additive.

Take a look at this timeline and you can see where the different corporate giants of the day had an influence.
The 1920s and 30s are particularly interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_alcohol_fuel

In the UK, one of the biggest sellers of ethanol blend post-WWII was Cleveland Discol; brought out by ESSO in 1958, the brand disappeared in the early 70s. TV Advert here from 1966:
https://youtu.be/4uEqqlqqf4Q
Basil the 1955 series II

rocco
Minor Fan

Post by rocco »

Very interesting stuff, thanks.

I've never learned as much on any other forum, I'm so glad this place exists and appreciate all the info. from everyone.
1961 Morris Minor 1000