Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Classiccars
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Piston

Post by Classiccars »

Can you please advise how these go back in to piston.They popped out and when I put them back in all that happened is fluid came out of the seal soit may be I put them in the wrong way around.
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Re: Piston

Post by Classiccars »

Sorry picture to go with note regarding piston
20240428_143857.jpg
20240428_143857.jpg (858.76 KiB) Viewed 185 times
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Would help if we knew what it was, I'm guessing a clutch slave cylinder? If so the indentation in the piston is for the pushrod to sit in so faces outwards. The rubber looks like dust seal and should be concave outwards.
Regards Bill
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Bill
That is the main seal of the slave cylinder. The dust seal of the slave cylinder is much larger. See link below.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/395196380647 ... R8ix9dHkYw
The concave of the rubber seal faces the inside of cylinder, the flat face of the rubber seal faces outwards.
The flat face of the metal piston faces and butts up against the flat face of the rubber seal. The concave face of the metal piston faces outwards and into which the operating rod fits.

Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

philthehill wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:28 pm Bill
That is the main seal of the slave cylinder. The dust seal of the slave cylinder is much larger. See link below.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/395196380647 ... R8ix9dHkYw
The concave of the rubber seal faces the inside of cylinder, the flat face of the rubber seal faces outwards.
The flat face of the metal piston faces and butts up against the flat face of the rubber seal. The concave face of the metal piston faces outwards and into which the operating rod fits.
Phil wasn't sure from the pic what the seal was and was just guessing, would also be easier if op said what it was :tu1:
Regards Bill
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Bill_qaz wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:28 pm
Phil wasn't sure from the pic what the seal was and was just guessing, would also be easier if op said what it was :tu1:
I'm with you on this, I'd never have guessed that it was anything to do with a clutch, since the Minor didn't have one as built.
My first thought was a brake slave cylinder, then I realised it couldn't be..... :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Having a hydraulic clutch on my minor and the slave cylinder being the same as a classic Mini I recognised the slave cylinder from what is visible in the above photo.

Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Well recognised Phil :tu1:
Regards Bill
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Thanks all and sorry for the confusion.Question for Phil please.Am I correct that Bill advised the concave rubber the wrong way around.Would I be right as you advised yo say the concave side sits against the flat of the piston with the flat side of the rubber facing out for the moving arm to push against through the hole of the soft rubber gater of the slave cylinder.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Excuse me butting in but this may help
IMG_3334.jpeg
IMG_3334.jpeg (623.46 KiB) Viewed 99 times

Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Classiccars wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:09 pm Thanks all and sorry for the confusion.Question for Phil please.Am I correct that Bill advised the concave rubber the wrong way around.Would I be right as you advised yo say the concave side sits against the flat of the piston with the flat side of the rubber facing out for the moving arm to push against through the hole of the soft rubber gater of the slave cylinder.
It was the outer dust cover I was refering to, didn't realise the rubber in you picture was the piston seal. So Phil description and Les drawing are spot on.
Last edited by Bill_qaz on Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:23 am, edited 4 times in total.
Regards Bill
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Much appreciated.
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »