Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
southerly95
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Relocating rear spring hangers

Post by southerly95 »

Some time ago a local welder replaced the O/S spring hanger (that one under the seat). I replaced the N/S in line with the O/S.
I’ve since found that the rear axle is approx 25mm further back than it should be!

I intend to replace both again. Without removing the whole axle what’s the simplest way to do this? Will just jacking up the rear end and dropping front pins give enough access?
Thanks, John
[sig]4918[/sig]
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Relocating rear spring hangers

Post by svenedin »

When replacing the leaf springs the normal procedure is to jack up the car on the body and then with the body supported on axle stands and suitable blocks of wood to then jack up and support the axle on stands. Some people use the spring hanging bracket to support the body because it should be strong. Obviously you can’t do that if replacing the hangers. I used the small area to the rear of the petrol tank to support the body, with a wooden long block of suitable size. Be careful and check this area is absolutely sound if attempting this.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
southerly95
Minor Fan

Post by southerly95 »

Thanks for your early response Stephen, I have replaced the area behind the fuel tank so strength is there. I think the sequence is: (assuming front wheels chocked)
- remove hanger pin nuts
- block rear to begin to take weight
- 2nd jack under rear axle to take weight and allow careful lowering of suspension when wheels off
- remove rear wheel nuts and tap hanger pins out
- raise rear further so wheels can be removed

Will I need to disconnect the prop?

Thanks again, John
[sig]4918[/sig]
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Before you do anything I take it that you have measured the distances/location in line with the BMC drawing.
ride height 4.jpg
ride height 4.jpg (959.84 KiB) Viewed 109 times
Unless you are experiencing handling problems it seems a lot of work to move the spring hangers 25mm.
That 25mm should not cause any problems. The only visible difference will be the amount the gearbox output shaft protrudes from the gearbox rear housing and there is plenty of meat on the output shaft to cope with the 25mm.
As you appear to have been running the car without problem I would be tempted to leave well alone.
Last edited by philthehill on Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

southerly95
Minor Fan

Post by southerly95 »

Hello Phil, it’s cross checking BMC measurements that’s lead to the decision to act. First spotted when looking at rear wheel not being central in the rear wheel arch, thanks, John
[sig]4918[/sig]
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The wheel is not necessary in the centre of the wheel arch. As the spring flattens & especially over time the axle moves rearwards and that is why there is a sliding joint to the rear of the gearbox.