Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ROGER B
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Door locating peg and socket misalignment

Post by ROGER B »

I originally posted this on the Mechanical Forum but as there have been no replies I think I put it in the wrong forum so am re-posting here.

The peg is much lower than the socket on the passenger door of my 1970 Traveller. The driver's side is fine.

Everything else on the passenger side is in alignment - catch, striker plate, fit in aperture etc. The door closes nicely except for the peg hitting the bottom edge of the socket. There is no vertical adjustment, only horizontal.

I cannot see how to correct this. If I remove the screws to release the socket from the door frame, will they drop into the void? Can I file the holes in the door frame so the socket can be moved downwards into alignment?

Any ideas, please? Many thanks in advance.
King Kenny
Minor Fan

Re: Door locating peg and socket misalignment

Post by King Kenny »

From memory, I have taken mine off and refitted them and the threaded plate behind has not fallen. It may be they one needs to go up and the other needs to go down. They are fiddly to align.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
ROGER B
Minor Friendly

Post by ROGER B »

Thanks Kenny, but I am glad I won't lose the screws! The main problem is that the socket can't adjust up and down, only side to side. I think a little surgery to the mounting is required.
ROGER B
Minor Friendly

Post by ROGER B »

Thanks Peted - lots of detail there to think about. Much appreciated.