If you need something, try asking for it here - you never know
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mobylette
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Lucas Windtone Horn

Post by mobylette »

Looking for a working Lucas Windtone horn if anyone has a spare knocking about please?
svenedin
Minor Legend

Re: Lucas Windtone Horn

Post by svenedin »

That’s a Lucas 9H which is marked on the trumpet as L (low) or H (high). Standard on a Morris 1000 is Lucas 9H Low. They often show up and work badly or not at all but there are some videos on YouTube of how to repair them. I believe some export cars had a low and high pair of horns fitted

The modern copy is Lucas LHT10 (high or low) which is cheap and loud. Not exactly the same frequency though as the originals

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

A 9H and a windtone are completely different things. The Lucas Windtone being much larger and earlier :wink:
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

ManyMinors wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:18 am A 9H and a windtone are completely different things. The Lucas Windtone being much larger and earlier :wink:
Really? http://www.rjh-heritage.ch/index_htm_fi ... s%209H.pdf

I know what you mean by the earlier larger horn but that is also called a Windtone horn. It's a different model though WT618

Stephen

Stephen
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I must say that I've never heard anyone refer to the later 9H horn as a "windtone". Anyone referring to a windtone horn has in my experience always meant the earlier WT horn as pictured. These were fitted to the Minor 1000 from its introduction in 1956 until around 1963.
Attachments
Lucas windtone horn.JPG
Lucas windtone horn.JPG (121.15 KiB) Viewed 351 times
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

If you look at the Parts books, there's probably as many variants of Horn configuration as there are Seat arrangements.....
I gave up trying to understand the thought pattern behind the various decisions; I've probably not not the 'right' set up for the year, but it works, so not a priority.
In the Commercial Parts book, it seems that GPO vans, Postal and Phones, didn't have the same horns as all others of the same year... :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

ManyMinors wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:15 pm I must say that I've never heard anyone refer to the later 9H horn as a "windtone". Anyone referring to a windtone horn has in my experience always meant the earlier WT horn as pictured. These were fitted to the Minor 1000 from its introduction in 1956 until around 1963.
Fair enough but Lucas themselves did call the 9H a Windtone as you can see from my link to the 9H workshop manual.

Stephen
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

geoberni wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:19 pm If you look at the Parts books, there's probably as many variants of Horn configuration as there are Seat arrangements.....
I gave up trying to understand the thought pattern behind the various decisions; I've probably not not the 'right' set up for the year, but it works, so not a priority.
In the Commercial Parts book, it seems that GPO vans, Postal and Phones, didn't have the same horns as all others of the same year... :roll:
Yes, you're right, there are a huge number of small specification differences between civilian and GPO vans :-(
mobylette
Minor Fan

Post by mobylette »

OK, has anyone got a spare period (60's) Lucas horn, exact model not important :D
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

mobylette wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:14 pm OK, has anyone got a spare period (60's) Lucas horn, exact model not important :D
Yes I have loads of them (9H) but none of them work properly. I am going to have a go at fixing them. If I am successful I’ll report back!

Stephen

Stephen
mobylette
Minor Fan

Post by mobylette »

Horns now located & purchased, thanks everyone. And good luck with your repairs Stephen.

Martin