Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: 1966 morris minor 1000 Oil Filter

Post by svenedin »

rach.76 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:02 am The filter is paper never seen one of them before I’m having the brakes upgraded I’m also having a tracker fitted to Bert on Friday don’t want anyone to steal Bert 🥹 is there somewhere in this group where you can just chat I’m new to this and I just love old cars
So you have the original Purolator oil filter? A metal canister (sump) with a through bolt, spring, pressure plate and a paper element? These are good filters and easy to change once you have done it a few times. The elements are cheap and come with a new top seal. Some people get in a muddle about the assembly order and if you get it wrong the filter will leak. It is easy to accidentally throw the pressure plate away with the used element. Don't do this because without the pressure plate the filter is not filtering the oil at all! Without the pressure plate the element floats around like a useless teabag. Some people complain that changing this filter is messy but an oil change is messy anyway. It is easiest with the front of the car up on ramps and then you have excellent access underneath. Lots of threads about this filter.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
rach.76
Minor Friendly

Post by rach.76 »

My oil filter is here I bought 5 of them set of new spark plugs air filter new wipers and a bunch of new fuses
I’m just hoping I ordered the right oil filter 🙈
rach.76
Minor Friendly

Post by rach.76 »

Oil filter does this look right ?
Attachments
Oil filter
Oil filter
IMG_1523.jpeg (2.36 MiB) Viewed 385 times
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Looks right, here's the one from ESM:
https://www.morrisminorspares.com/engin ... pe-p830267

I'm presuming yours was sold as being suitable for the Minor/A-Series engine.
svenedin wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:16 am Some people complain that changing this filter is messy but an oil change is messy anyway.
Funny thing is, all those attempts before finding my own oil head was cracked, it wasn't a messy job at all (except when all the oil came out :) ).

These posts by svenedin will help you determine it's going back together in the right order etc:
viewtopic.php?t=77227&start=30
viewtopic.php?t=77227&start=33
viewtopic.php?t=77227&start=35
Last edited by Chief on Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
rach.76
Minor Friendly

Post by rach.76 »

I’m not doing it haha that’s my brothers job 😂 but Bert is having a treat over the next few days having a tracker fitted new set of carpets lol anyway back to the oil filter it’s was hard to tell if it was the right one cuz of how dirty the old one is from what I can see it looks like I bought the right one only one way to find out lol
rach.76
Minor Friendly

Post by rach.76 »

The link you just posted that’s where I bought my box of goodies from
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

is there somewhere in this group where you can just chat I’m new to this and I just love old cars
Post under General Discussion and possibly Off Topic (see the Board Home page). We welcome general chat - we can all waffle and go off topic, see the Awful Joke Thread, 3 word story game etc. I just try to keep topics relevant to the section as it makes it easier for people to find when searching.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

My two bits of advice would be:
1). Get yourself an original "Owners handbook" for your car. This small publication can often be found and is very useful. If you want more detail then an original workshop manual is also a good thing.
2). To chat to other owners about your car, find out whether there is a local group of owners in your area. There are many local branches of the MMOC who meet monthly - depending where you live.
rach.76
Minor Friendly

Post by rach.76 »

My car came with the original hand book luckily it’s been kept nice even came with a parts sheet with sizes of bolts etc I’m still going through the paperwork there’s loads some going back to the 70s it’s very interesting to read
rach.76
Minor Friendly

Post by rach.76 »

Mmoc is not far from me I’m in Matlock and mmoc is in derby which is very handy
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

rach.76 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:32 am Mmoc is not far from me I’m in Matlock and mmoc is in derby which is very handy
That's the Club Head Office, principally doing 'office stuff'', although it's an interesting place to visit on an Open Day.
The nearest branch to you is almost certainly Mansfield, the MADMOG Branch, they meet on the southern outskirts of Mansfield.
https://madmog.weebly.com/
Basil the 1955 series II

rach.76
Minor Friendly

Post by rach.76 »

That’s the wheels I’ve orders looks so much better with original wheels