Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Rear damper link rubber top bush

Post by philthehill »

If you are having to replace the rear suspension damper top link bush (the one that fits onto the chassis pin) forget the two piece rubber bushes or a poly bush and fit a classic Mini suspension damper bush Pt No: 21A1230. If you can find them bush 21A503 is even better. 21A503 is also a one piece bush but is of a slightly harder compound than the 21A1230 bush and was originally fitted to the eyes of classic Mini Cooper suspension dampers.
Having approached ESM for the one piece rubber bush fitted to their rear damper links and given the reply that they are not separately available I did a search and found that bush 21A1230 is virtually if not the same, it has the same dimensions and characteristics as does 21A503 but 21A503 has a more pronounced retaining collar profiles.
Having now got hold of both bushes 21A1230 and 21A503 my preference is to fit bush 21A503.
Photos to follow.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Rear damper link rubber top bush

Post by philthehill »

Photo of rear damper link bushes below.
1. ESM damper link Pt No: SUS702 with fitted one piece rubber bush. Note: The rubber bush has been removed from the top eye.
The ESM bush was removed for use in the top eye of a gas tele damper conversion kit so as to be able to utilise the damper chassis mount pin. Having discovered the harder 21A503 bush the ESM bushes will be refitted to the new ESM damper links and the new links put up for sale. Any takers?

2. Classic Mini damper bush Pt No: 21A1230. Has about the same Shore hardness as the ESM bush.

3. Classic Mini Cooper damper bush Pt No: 21A503. The Shore hardness is much higher. Note the more pronounced retention shoulders.

4. Morris Minor rear damper top link bush rubber ESM Pt No: ACA5252 (two ACA5252 bushes required per link). This is a soft bush with about the same Shore hardness as the ESM bush.
Damper link bushes.JPG
Damper link bushes.JPG (80.4 KiB) Viewed 327 times

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Thanks Phill. When I replaced my drop links with the new ESM ones I did wonder whether I would ever find bushes for them. I wonder whether I will be able to find your thread when the need arises!

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Make a note of the part numbers as a supplement in your Army Minor parts list then you will have a record of the alternative bushes available.
Phil

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

philthehill wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:41 pm Make a note of the part numbers as a supplement in your Army Minor parts list then you will have a record of the alternative bushes available.
Phil
Yes! I'll do that

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen