Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Tinasminor
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Halogen bulbs

Post by Tinasminor »

If you was to switch to halogen bulbs would the -tive earth dynamo be up to the job when the lights where needed.
Steve.
Boomlander
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Halogen bulbs

Post by Boomlander »

The dynamo system should cope if it is in good condition along with the battery.
However an upgrade to an alternator would be a wise move if the wipers and blower were required along with the H4 bulbs. 🤔

Mick Lynch
Minor Fan

Post by Mick Lynch »

Why not LED bulbs. These are a game changer on prewar minors with 6v systems.

This site has a useful facts page https://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

My car had Halogens and a Dynamo when I brought him; after I fitted an ammeter I saw that with the headlights on full beam,the dynamo wasn't really covering the current required unless at cruising speeds. Every time I slowed for a junction, it was battery draining.
I didn't want to go the alternator route, so I fitted LEDs; note that LEDs usually replicate an H4 in fit/form/function so require Halogen Lamp Reflector bodies.
No problems now, bright headlights and the dynamo can easily cope, plus the LEDs are unlikely to need changing in my lifetime if up to the hours usage claims.

Simple enough to fit, I made a video of the job.
https://youtu.be/LQQD9U6BWzw

When I made the video, the car had different headlamp bowls, one an original metal bowl for a Sealed beam unit, the other a plastic bowl.
The halogen lamp units fitted in both, but I've now got a new pair of matching bowls ready to fit.
Basil the 1955 series II

Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Mick Lynch wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:07 am Why not LED bulbs. These are a game changer on prewar minors with 6v systems.
It appears to still be the case that normal bulbs can be replaced with LED bulbs, but they're not road legal if they're being used for exterior lighting, this does however presumably mean an end to cracked wingaard interior lights from bulb heat I guess...
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Chief wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:37 am
Mick Lynch wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:07 am Why not LED bulbs. These are a game changer on prewar minors with 6v systems.
It appears to still be the case that normal bulbs can be replaced with LED bulbs, but they're not road legal if they're being used for exterior lighting, this does however presumably mean an end to cracked wingaard interior lights from bulb heat I guess...
On what are you basing yor claim of " not road legal"
Last edited by Bill_qaz on Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards Bill
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

LED exterior lights are road legal and are NOT an MoT test fail for cars made before April 1986. They still must be properly aligned of course. My car passed its MoT test last week and the tester even commented on the LED headlights because they did not know where the dip switch was.

There are several advantages over halogen: dynamo can easily power them (available in positive or negative earth), less load on the wiring loom, whiter light and good brightness. I had sealed beams previously. These actually use even more power than removable halogen bulbs. I had to buy new lamp housings but installation was simple. I used LED bulbs that just fit like a halogen bulb with no extra wiring or driver unit.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
olonas
Minor Fan

Post by olonas »

7" sealed beam units are usually 60W/45W and H4 Halogen are usually 60W/55W. e.g. Osram Nightbreaker.
My dynamo copes perfectly well with the sealed beams. There has to be no reason for it not to cope with H4 Halogen of those Wattages.
I try to avoid retina searing LEDs for which there seems to be an obsession!
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

We adequately covered this in April 2021...
viewtopic.php?t=73440

Yet the 'Not Road Legal' garbage is cited on many websites still... :roll:
Probably because either the pages were written early 2021 and never corrected, or more likely the people writing the stuff are incapable of thinking back beyond 1986.
It's increasing common to see garbage that is relevant to 'Classics' that are post 1980s being thought of as applying to everything back to 1910!!! :evil:
Basil the 1955 series II

Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

geoberni wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:45 am It's increasing common to see garbage that is relevant to 'Classics' that are post 1980s being thought of as applying to everything back to 1910!!! :evil:
I checked again, it was August 2022 that the site I'd found was last updated, so basically a blanket cover statement not taking into account exceptions (but it was in the category 'Expert Advice' :D ).

Never knew until I looked at the MOT inspection manual online (proper gov.uk one) that my car could have the left headlamp for normal lighting only, and the right headlamp for main beam only and that this is perfectly legal and not an MOT failure due to the age.
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

The problem is so much wrong info is published even in allegedly classic car type articles.
The only way to check current info is the government sites.
Over many years in the vehicle industry there has been lots of confusion and interpretation of MOT, construction and use and road traffic regulations. Every day is a Learning day :D
Regards Bill
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Chief wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:17 pm
geoberni wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:45 am It's increasing common to see garbage that is relevant to 'Classics' that are post 1980s being thought of as applying to everything back to 1910!!! :evil:
I checked again, it was August 2022 that the site I'd found was last updated, so basically a blanket cover statement not taking into account exceptions (but it was in the category 'Expert Advice' :D ).

Never knew until I looked at the MOT inspection manual online (proper gov.uk one) that my car could have the left headlamp for normal lighting only, and the right headlamp for main beam only and that this is perfectly legal and not an MOT failure due to the age.
You've got my curiosity now... I've never noticed that in the MOT Manual or the Lighting Regs. :-?
I knew there was a bit about Buses pre 1969 only need one headlamp :-?
There's also a bit that says "Vehicles first used before 1 January 1931 do not need headlamps."

I guess we're drifting away from halogen lighting at the moment....
Basil the 1955 series II

Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Bill_qaz wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:31 am
On what are you basing yor claim of " not road legal"
From a previous discussion

Extract from current mot test manual
"A ‘light source’ means any bulb, LED or other means of emitting light."
As long as it complies with beam pattern requirements

LINKS REMOVED as pages not longer at the location
Regards Bill
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

This thread had a bit of a weird forum bug going on yesterday (or at least for me), after my initial post yesterday the next reply showing was olonas' post followed by geoberni's (which is why I responded to that one).

Today there are new replies that didn't exist yesterday sandwiched between them, namely:
by Bill_qaz » Mon Nov 27 2023 10:31 am
by svenedin » Mon Nov 27 2023 10:35 am

I've never seen that kind of delay at posts appearing before, very strange.

As an aside, 4.1.4 is the MOT section detailing it legal to use LED bulbs in Minors:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspect ... tion-4-1-4
geoberni wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:04 pm I knew there was a bit about Buses pre 1969 only need one headlamp :-?
That was my error, I read vehicles in the line above and managed to continue reading the next line so that it became 1969 vehicles as opposed to just buses.
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

I edited my post as links no longer worked, I don't know why but it reposted, hence out of sequence. I think I may have clicked quote instead of edit :oops:
Thanks for posting link to current mot regs, useful info even if you don't get your minor tested as it still has to comply to be road worthy :tu1:
Regards Bill
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Chief wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:28 pm
geoberni wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:04 pm I knew there was a bit about Buses pre 1969 only need one headlamp :-?
That was my error, I read vehicles in the line above and managed to continue reading the next line so that it became 1969 vehicles as opposed to just buses.
:tu1: Easily done. I get myself going in circles and down rabbit holes when I start reading actual legislation.
Basil the 1955 series II