Fiat twin cam advice please

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
andyd
MMOC Member: No

Fiat twin cam advice please

Post by andyd »

Hello all
In 1993 my dad and I finished a 1600 TC conversion.
It has been in my parents heated garage for 30 years!!! Used occasionally by my dad. He’s too old to drive it now as the cable clutch gives his knee problems.
I live in Sydney and am thinking of shipping it here to use as my everyday car around the city and for some country drives
Couple of questions, to see if it is viable……
Engine 1979 1600 5 speed, single twin choke Weber
Clutch- we are using the cable attached to the original pedal with a bracket that came with the TC fitting kit- does this system hold up?
Radiator - we have an Allegro one, with the thermostat bypassed and an electric fan on a thermostat. Thoughts on overheating? It can get hot out here!!!
Engine- it has never been opened up but has 70,000 miles on it. Replaced the timing belt about 8 years ago and had done only a couple hundred miles since then. Valve recession on this model? We use a valve saver liquid in the fuel
Gearbox - it whines in everything but 4th. Had it rebuilt with new bearings but it still does it. It’s not loud, but noticeable. Has never gotten worse, is this common?
Does anyone on here use a TC minor as a daily drive?
I know that it will need a full refurb of brakes bearings and so on, but I’m somewhat time and space poor so I don’t want to inherit an enormous job 😁
paul1957
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Fiat twin cam advice please

Post by paul1957 »

Hi should you consider selling the car I would be interested in it
Regards Paul
andyd

Post by andyd »

Hi Paul
I’ll bear that in mind.
Hoping to bequeath it to my kids but we will see :D :D
paul1957

Post by paul1957 »

Hi Andy thanks for your reply
Regards Paul
rocco
Minor Fan

Post by rocco »

I wonder if it might be better to ask your questions on a Fiat forum as most of them pertain to an engine and gearbox that only a few on here may be familiar with?
1961 Morris Minor 1000
andyd

Post by andyd »

Good idea Rocco
There’s a few specific mods that are morris related such as the clutch cable on the morris pedal and cooling that I was trying to catch as well, but I will do that
stewartpepper

Post by stewartpepper »

Hi Andy
What Fiat forum would you be thinking of asking? I'm interested as I have a 2.0L twin cam minor and have a couple of engine questions too!
Thanks,
Stewart.
andyd

Post by andyd »

dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

I found a Davis Craig electric water pump (I believe made on Australia) plus electric fans extremely effective on keeping my 2.0 Minor cool in all (English) weathers.

Big question long term is parts. If everything has to be imported round the world it could be pricy.

To that end are there many Ladas in Oz? These had the same Fiat rwd gearbox 4 or 5 speed that you have. similarly any FWD Fiats, Lancias or Alfas of about 20 years old and 1.6-2.0l These engines are evolutions of yours and have the same bolt patterns for gearbox. If this stuff is about and cheap you have a parts supply - if not and you have to import it’ll be harder.

Finally I don’t know what import rules are like - would be worth investigating whether the modifications are legal in your state. Istr someone in Brisbane having a modified old Merc where the mods are allowed in QLD but not NSW.