Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
rocco
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Chipping away at the block

Post by rocco »

I decided to remove the timing chain cover yesterday expecting to spend half the day on getting the crankshaft pulley bolt off, being that it has no resistance on it.

Pleasantly surprised to find that using my little air compressor and a 34mm socket (I have since bought a 33mm socket which others have stated is the right one) on the impact gun, it came straight off with one pull on the trigger! Same for the camshaft bolt too. I did find three very thin washers behind the pulley but they have no cut-out to get them off the woodruff key on the shaft - how is it done?
20230916_121859.jpg
20230916_121859.jpg (378.96 KiB) Viewed 540 times
I also wonder how to correctly remove the seal from the cover. None of the youtube videos show it being done so do I drift it out with an appropriate socket or crudely hack at the rubber until it falls out? Perhaps I should read one of the books I've safely stored and now forgotten where?

I think the water pump is a little bit past its' best.
20230916_120058.jpg
20230916_120058.jpg (574.83 KiB) Viewed 540 times
Last edited by rocco on Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1961 Morris Minor 1000
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Chipping away at the block

Post by Bill_qaz »

rocco wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:04 pm I decided to remove the timing chain cover yesterday expecting to spend half the day on getting the crankshaft pulley bolt off, being that it has no resistance on it.

Pleasantly surprised to find that using my little air compressor and a 34mm socket (I have since bought a 33mm socket which others have stated is the right one) on the gun, it came straight off with one pull on the trigger! Same for the camshaft bolt too. I did find three very thin washers behind the pulley but they have no cut-out to get them off the woodruff key on the shaft - how is it done?

20230916_121859.jpg

I also wonder how to correctly remove the seal from the cover. None of the youtube videos show it being done so do I drift it out with an appropriate socket or crudely hack at the rubber until it falls out? Perhaps I should read one of the books I've safely stored and now forgotten where?

I think the water pump is a little bit past its' best.

20230916_120058.jpg
Remove the key if you want to take off the shims
Regards Bill
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

That water pump is only fit for the scrap bin.
Fit a water pump with a cast impellor.
Is your crankshaft seal fitted from the front outside or from the inside of the timing cover. Both use the same seal.
Support the timing cover on a piece of suitable size tube that fits around the seal housing/boss and drift the seal out either forwards or rearwards. Reverse the process to fit.
Last edited by philthehill on Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rocco
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by rocco »

Thanks Bill & Phil. I thought it would just drop out, being that it's in the upside down position but I'll find something to let me know how it comes out later.

I don't know anything about the seal, if there is some kind of lip that holds it in or which way round it is but I'll figure it out.

Admin - I am constantly logged out after only a few minutes after writing long and detailed posts, it's very annoying and happens so much that it makes me want to give up contributing to this forum. Is there something I can do to solve it, other than writing in notepad and copy-pasting everything each time?
Last edited by rocco on Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1961 Morris Minor 1000
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

As regards removing the Woodruff key. Soak with plus gas and with a suitable diameter punch knock down on one end of the Woodruff key, the other end should rise up. Keep knocking the key and it will work itself out.
If you change the crankshaft timing chain sprocket you may need to add or subtract shims to align the camshaft and crankshaft sprockets.
The camshaft when the sprocket is fitted should have 0.007" end float. The camshaft end float is achieved by machining the camshaft sprocket either on the boss or rubbing face.
To increase the end float machine here
Cam gear 2.JPG
Cam gear 2.JPG (1.52 MiB) Viewed 507 times
To decrease the end float machine here
Cam gear 4.JPG
Cam gear 4.JPG (1.41 MiB) Viewed 505 times