Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Grumpy21
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

mission accomplished and a revelation

Post by Grumpy21 »

my search has finally ended and my traveller has been replaced by a nice 2 door saloon

but

What a difference. Where the traveller was a comfortable smooth ride the saloon is choppy and fidgety. The clutch a sharp where the traveller was progressive. The brakes feel a little better and the engine is less tappetty.

In a blind test you would be forgiven for assuming they were not just different cars but entirely different marques

Interesting
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: mission accomplished and a revelation

Post by simmitc »

Congratulations on your replacement. Every Minor has its own character 8)
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Maybe just needs some fettling - or just some getting used to. As Simmitc says, each one is just slightly different. Well done though, hope you enjoy the new car.
unclealec
Minor Fan

Post by unclealec »

Yeah, I found that.
Sold a van and replaced it with a 2-door saloon.
Chalk and cheese. If the van had driven like the saloon I would never have sold it.
Alec Gatherer
Manchester-by-the-Ditch.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

I wonder how similar these cars (bearing in mind variations between the different models) felt when they rolled off the production line? I imagine it is the subsequent years of use (and abuse) that create the different characteristics of each older car - general wear and tear and how well they have been maintained and/or treated by their (possibly many) owners, how they may have been modified etc. Yes, these old cars do feel and respond differently to each other but I suspect these differences were much less when they were new.....
Grumpy21
Minor Fan

Post by Grumpy21 »

After a second run even the seating position is very different. And both have (had) reupholstered seats. The traveller was quite upright but the saloon is tilted backwards. It needs the ‘wooden block’ mod to get a good seating position.

However all these things will be looked at in due course. For example adjusting the clutch has helped and when I fit the rose joints it’ll be better still
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

Just to reiterate above comments.
Clutch adjustment made all the difference.
It even altered the feel of the pedal box overall.
Where angels fear to tread
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Grumpy21 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:34 am After a second run even the seating position is very different. And both have (had) reupholstered seats. The traveller was quite upright but the saloon is tilted backwards. It needs the ‘wooden block’ mod to get a good seating position.

However all these things will be looked at in due course. For example adjusting the clutch has helped and when I fit the rose joints it’ll be better still
Funny had complete opposite found the seat too upright and seemed too far forward even though its the adjustable seat. So lifted carpet to see if seat was on forward or rearward mounting bolt position and found block of wood under carpet once removed the driving position was much improved. I guess we are all spoiled by modern cars with multi adjustable seats and steering wheel.
Regards Bill
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Your 2-door should not be "choppy and fidgety". I suspect you need to check both the front and rear suspension. Worn bushes, non-functioning dampers, tired or broken leaf springs, even incorrect tyre pressures are all possibilities.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Grumpy21
Minor Fan

Post by Grumpy21 »

svenedin wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:56 pm Your 2-door should not be "choppy and fidgety". I suspect you need to check both the front and rear suspension. Worn bushes, non-functioning dampers, tired or broken leaf springs, even incorrect tyre pressures are all possibilities.

Stephen
It has spax telescopic conversions at the front and rear. They are adjustable and I think they are too stiff at the moment. Have yet checked pressures but all the bushes and springs are in excellent order.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Grumpy21 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:32 pm
It has spax telescopic conversions at the front and rear.
Dare I assume this to be a 'significant' change from the traveller you sold?
If the 2 vehicles are not to the same standard of construction, it's no wonder they feel different.... :-?
Basil the 1955 series II

Grumpy21
Minor Fan

Post by Grumpy21 »

Indeed. But the difference is more than just dampers. After owning over 120 plus cars I’m used to alight differences between similar models but these are chalk and cheese. Neither better, just different
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

120+ cars ! If you bought 1 each year you’d be 120 years old at least !! :o :D

Grumpy21
Minor Fan

Post by Grumpy21 »

Not far off. Yes we’ve owned 120 plus cars in a combined 80 years of driving. Sometimes 7 at once but more frequently 4-5 at any one time. And we do change approx 1 per year.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Keep going you’ll find one you like soon ! :D

Grumpy21
Minor Fan

Post by Grumpy21 »

Best car I’ve owned by far was a BMW 5 series, owned for 5 years with no faults whatsoever ever. 50 plus mpg, loads of space and comfort and gadgets in abundance. Worst by miles was a Volvo 240 estate. 12mpg and a seat that had collapsed. Cars I wish I’d kept, MGB roadster that I converted to V8, BMW 420d convertible. Best value car, current mx5 NC, worth peanuts but shed loads of fun and as reliable as a stick. Nicest ‘classic’ my current Morgan or Previous Stag. Fastest car I’ve owned was either my Porsche Boxster or Morgan Plus 8 (but that was hard to tame)