Morris minor ex police car siren

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bubbles
MMOC Member: No

Morris minor ex police car siren

Post by bubbles »

Hi all. I need help please, I have asked this question or simular before and did not get a answer, just people saying they did not have sirens or depends on force etc. Please can someone help with my question / want. I'm trying to get a 2 tone siren for my 1968 ex police Morris, I'm not asking if they had 1 or not I just want 1 for shows, I'm told fiamm no longer make them, the only 1 I have found is £68 which I'm happy to pay, but as the seller is in Australia, with postage and import duties it will cost more than purchase price for postage etc and 6 weeks to get it. Please has anyone got 1, cash waiting. Please help.
GLT819C
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Morris minor ex police car siren

Post by GLT819C »

Hi, i meet up with some other classic car owners yesterday. A local came across to chat to us, he was a retired policeman and we chatted about some of the cars he drove for work.

Surprisingly he was using a Morris 1000 traveller as a patrol car. I was only aware of the saloon Panda Cars. Though maybe the police in the west midlands had a different arrangement. He also talked about the traffic cars, MGB's. An electrically operated bell was mentioned, which was not very effective.

Google say that the sirens and flashing blue light came in in 1963, before that was a bell.
If a bell was used, I guess it would have been the same bell used on ambulances and fire engines in the 1950's to 1960's.

Hope this is of use.
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Slightly off topic, but it seems a few constabularies used panda travellers. The photos below show an Edinburgh registered car and one which I believe is Leicestershire which has an interesting colour scheme.
IMG_0010.JPG
IMG_0010.JPG (69.83 KiB) Viewed 1011 times
IMG_5515.PNG
IMG_5515.PNG (290.18 KiB) Viewed 1011 times
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

bubbles wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:59 pm Hi all. I need help please, I have asked this question or simular before and did not get a answer, just people saying they did not have sirens or depends on force etc. Please can someone help with my question / want. I'm trying to get a 2 tone siren for my 1968 ex police Morris, I'm not asking if they had 1 or not I just want 1 for shows, I'm told fiamm no longer make them,
I suspect you can't get them easily because they are illegal for private vehicles.
You can buy 2 tone horns, but they have to sound at the same time, not alternately.
So I imagine if you really want to have one for off road use, you just have to buy one and work out how to switch it between the trumpets.... :-?
Perhaps you could buy two, in order to get the 2 compressors, and then just have each power a single horn with a change over relay to flip between them.
It'd be cheaper than shipping from Australia....
Basil the 1955 series II

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

GLT819C wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:39 pm
Google say that the sirens and flashing blue light came in in 1963, before that was a bell.
If a bell was used, I guess it would have been the same bell used on ambulances and fire engines in the 1950's to 1960's.

Yes, the Winkworth Bell, as used on all emergency vehicles until the early 60s. It came in different sizes, larger ones appeared on some Fire Appliances.
Working examples command a very high price, typically over £200 on ebay when they occasionally come up.
Basil the 1955 series II

Steve Phillips
Minor Fan

Post by Steve Phillips »

Afternoon all,

Not a plug for business although it will probably sound like one,

We have been making replica police panda roof signs for several years now,

The first units we made were film props, something we do quite a lot of, but we now provide the signs to owners of classic panda cars, museums and other film companies

We have been asked a few time of late if we can provide the two tone sirens as like everything old they are getting hard to get hold of,

we have been working on these and will soon have them available, switching the two tones was easy enough but to get the time each tone sounded for and the correct sounding horns was a little harder, without the product costing a small fortune that is,

If the OP is interested please PM me as like it says above I’m not trying to trade from here,

Steve