Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mr Spigot
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Fitting an aluminium GB plate to car

Post by Mr Spigot »

I am about to fit an aluminium GB plate to my car (yes, I know about the change to UK and have a magnetic UK one as well) and wondered if anyone had any suggestions for fitting it. I have a few strips of metal with holes from a Meccano set which I intend to use as brackets to fasten to the rear bumper using the two central bumper bolts under the boot handle. This will position the plate centrally, just clear of the bumper blade and slightly below it.

If anyone has any alternative methods or photos of their arrangements, I would be interested.
1960 2 door with 1275 Midget engine - WOI 577
1952 MM convertible with original engine - MWD 305
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Fitting an aluminium GB plate to car

Post by firedrake1942 »

I got a bracket made up consisting of a shaped 'T' with the main oval the same size as the plate which is epoxy'd to the bracket and it uses the two central bumper bolts as fittings. I am still not sure the UK looks right on the Minor and would prefer a GB but such is life.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-05-20 at 07.57.54.png
Screenshot 2023-05-20 at 07.57.54.png (3.65 MiB) Viewed 2451 times
Mr Spigot
Minor Fan

Post by Mr Spigot »

Thanks for the tip. In the end I decided the small Meccano strips were too flimsy and got two 'perforated strips' from my local car shop and cut and bent them to fit. All bolted up nice and tightly after adjusting to the right position. I agree the 'UK' sticker just does not look right, but I have a small magnetic one for use only if required for foreign travel, not that the police have anything more serious to worry about!
Attachments
GB plate 2.jpg
GB plate 2.jpg (60.67 KiB) Viewed 2415 times
GB plate 1.jpg
GB plate 1.jpg (70.96 KiB) Viewed 2415 times
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

Like the plates! UK doesn’t look right on a Minor in my opinion…I don’t even think it looks right on modern cars for that matter.
Attachments
IMG_2781.jpeg
IMG_2781.jpeg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 2355 times
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
Castle Rock
Minor Friendly

Post by Castle Rock »

Is it the still smarting EU that has made us go UK because GB is too much 'great' for them ?! :lol:

Also, I'm wondered if ali plates won't appear on ANPR ?
Mr Spigot
Minor Fan

Post by Mr Spigot »

No, it was our own 'world beating' government who decided to overturn over a century of GB recognition and changed it to UK so that the people of Northern Ireland felt included.

I suppose you could test your aluminium plates by driving in a bus lane and see if you get a fine? I suspect you will get caught! I think it is the numbers which are the giveaway rather than the material.
Castle Rock
Minor Friendly

Post by Castle Rock »

Ah! What a stupid idea!

I shall try it in Sainsbury's first! I wondered if the plates had to be of a reflective material for the camera to 'see' them, otherwise sign writing etc could be read in theory...!
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

This country will always be 'GB' (Great Britain) to me.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

I still have some of the old AA pressed plates with either GB or Ecosse on them. Much nicer, stronger and more tactile than what you get now. In the unlikely event that I take one of the cars overseas, I'd chance my arm with one of these.
IMG_6250.JPG
IMG_6250.JPG (1.83 MiB) Viewed 2194 times
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

I’ve certainly found ANPR cameras at car parks fail to detect the black and silver aluminium plates. I’ve had to buzz for assistance. Wouldn’t surprise me if the enforcement cameras struggle in the same way…though I don’t intend putting it to the test.
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

GB plates date from the original 1909 'International Convention with respect to the Circulation of Motor Vehicles' signed in Paris.
The code was only 1 or 2 letters.
It of course predates the division of Ireland... and was quite a short list of around 20 countries, I guess the others didn't have motor vehicles.... :-?

The 1924 Convention allowed up to 3 letters, which is when the likes of the Channel Islands got their own (incidentally GBY was Malta until 1966, since then it's been just M).

Since the independence of Eire, in 1921, it could be claimed that Northern Ireland were not being legitimately included in the GB plate, and the correct identifier should have been UK .
So it was incorrect for 100 years.

Many of other countries have changed their codes over the years, some more than once.
Basil the 1955 series II