Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Maurice_Minor
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

AF Bolt conundrum

Post by Maurice_Minor »

I have a 1967 Minor Convertible. It has the old seat belts in it which I don't mind, however I want to add in the rear an extra modern seat belt receiver so I can attach my dogs restraint to it. The current bolt is too short its an inch long, so I need to find a 1.5" one.The bolt has a S symbol on top. I have no idea where to find one. I haven't fiddled with cars for 50 years so I'm a bit out of date. I'm not even sure finites an Imperial bolt or not. Can anyone tell me what type of bolt I would have to order? Thanks

Here are some photos, which have uploaded upside down :oops:
bolt1.JPG
bolt1.JPG (2.66 MiB) Viewed 802 times
bolt2.JPG
bolt2.JPG (2.39 MiB) Viewed 802 times
bolt3.JPG
bolt3.JPG (2.42 MiB) Viewed 802 times
bolt4.JPG
bolt4.JPG (3.48 MiB) Viewed 802 times
bolt5.JPG
bolt5.JPG (3.5 MiB) Viewed 802 times
chrischris59
Minor Friendly

Re: AF Bolt conundrum

Post by chrischris59 »

Industry standard is 7/16" unf. used these people from my kit car days. https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/search?q=seat+belt+bolts
Maurice_Minor
Minor Friendly

Post by Maurice_Minor »

Thanks for the information. Just one thing, is the length of the bolt measured from the top of the bolt cap to the end of the thread or just the thread? The length of my thread is 1" & I saw on the link you sent, they do a 1¼" bolt, if this is the length of the thread, it would probably work for me.
chrischris59
Minor Friendly

Post by chrischris59 »

I'm sure it's only the length of the thread when quoting lengths but here's another option. https://www.europaspares.com/seatbelt_b ... ngth_1_1_2
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Great idea. I have a 1969 Convertible. I had rear inertia reel seat belt fitted just so that my dog could be safely restrained. He loves it!
44CFB56F-FD0B-481D-8B62-80FF846179BF.jpeg
44CFB56F-FD0B-481D-8B62-80FF846179BF.jpeg (2.68 MiB) Viewed 785 times
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Maurice_Minor
Minor Friendly

Post by Maurice_Minor »

I'll post a pic of my pooch when the seatbelt receiver is attached! (She's bit older now than the pic)
She cant wait!
lucky.JPG
lucky.JPG (116.83 KiB) Viewed 782 times
Maurice_Minor
Minor Friendly

Post by Maurice_Minor »

chrischris59 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:40 pm I'm sure it's only the length of the thread when quoting lengths but here's another option. https://www.europaspares.com/seatbelt_b ... ngth_1_1_2
Looks perfect! Thanks
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Maurice_Minor wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:14 pm I'll post a pic of my pooch when the seatbelt receiver is attached! (She's bit older now than the pic)
She cant wait!

lucky.JPG
Gorgeous!
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

It is always the length of the bolt (or set screw) shank - which may be part (or all) threaded. Counter-sink screws are different, of course.🙂
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The type of head used for seat belt retention will depend upon the seat belt anchorage.
The large head type bolt (shown in the photos above) is used when you have a shouldered spacer between the end of the belt and the floor/pillar of the vehicle.
The shouldered spacer allows the end of the belt to rotate. There is usually a wavy washer between the end of the belt and the shouldered spacer to stop any rattling of the end of the belt.
A small or standard headed bolt should not be used with the shouldered spacer as the head of the bolt does not fully cover the shouldered spacer aperture in the end of the belt.
The captive nut/plate goes under the floor or behind the metal seat belt support. The small hole in the plate is for a small securing bolt which will stop the plate rotating when the bolt is tightened.