Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Pictures

Post by les »

Found a 1963 Eagle comic annual, pages showing ‘This age and its Wonders’ Things that are now happening !
C243B889-77CF-4F98-B935-C465E8B67F1D.jpeg
C243B889-77CF-4F98-B935-C465E8B67F1D.jpeg (1.93 MiB) Viewed 1024 times
E0E3A6F0-9F72-46CD-A7E2-A7EC8B7E4EA8.jpeg
E0E3A6F0-9F72-46CD-A7E2-A7EC8B7E4EA8.jpeg (2.61 MiB) Viewed 1024 times

Classiccars
Minor Addict

Re: Pictures

Post by Classiccars »

Yes just amazing dreams back then.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The remains of the Blue Steak rocket engine test stands can be visited at the Needles on the Isle of Wight.

Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

philthehill wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:53 pm The remains of the Blue Steak...

Might be better to ask for medium rare next time Phil.
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Why was car design so much more imaginative then ? The future electric car and the GM firebird were very much reflective of the times and how people see the future. Contrast them with amorphous bobs we get today that all look the seem. Individuality seems to be a thing of the past.
rocco
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by rocco »

I've had the same observation. It seems to me that car design has been about making the car look more sterile over the past 30-years, not more beautiful or attractive. There's no doubt that the level of technology and engineering of today's vehicles are light years ahead of what I could have ever imagined as a young man, but they're soulless. A reflection of life and how people generally are now perhaps?

Then again, it could be that those of us who pine for the good ol' days are attracted to the nostalgia of the classic motor car and that's what keeps the memory alive? Classic car ownership may only be appreciated in the way it is because of the bland and boring designs of today.

My dream car in my teens was the BMW 635CSi (E24), I still can't afford one even now but I don't regret it. My daily driver today has "standheizung" which is a pre-heater and a "radar" that maintains a distance to the car in front when in cruise control. Features I never believed I'd ever have when I first started driving my first car, a Toyota Starlet, 30-years ago.
1961 Morris Minor 1000
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Rocket flame grilled preferably. :wink:

https://www.foodfirefriends.com/blue-steak/

Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Not the Firebird III Jetcar, however also from 1963:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2A5ijU3Ivs
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

rocco wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:10 pm I've had the same observation. It seems to me that car design has been about making the car look more sterile over the past 30-years, not more beautiful or attractive. There's no doubt that the level of technology and engineering of today's vehicles are light years ahead of what I could have ever imagined as a young man, but they're soulless. A reflection of life and how people generally are now perhaps?

Then again, it could be that those of us who pine for the good ol' days are attracted to the nostalgia of the classic motor car and that's what keeps the memory alive? Classic car ownership may only be appreciated in the way it is because of the bland and boring designs of today.
I think you're probably spot on Rocco. The emphasis seems to have been on the technological advances rather advancing design. We've ended up with cars that have technology that was unimaginable and that we probably don't need if we are honest but yet in my opinion, designs have gone backwards. Would something like a PA Cresta or even the E type get made now ? I'm not sure companies or designers are so bold now. The only truly different cars I can remember in recent times have been the Chrysler PT cruiser (and it was homage to the 50's) and the Fiat Multipla. The lack of individuality between marques is such a shame.

Ah well, great photos Les, thanks for sharing !
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

designs have gone backwards. Would something like a PA Cresta or even the E type get made now ?
Instead we have automotive ugliness in the form of things like the Nissan Junk..... sorry Juke...... or was I right the first time??........
Just my opinion of course.....
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Nissan Joke. It was one of those that pulled out and hit me when I was on my way to the tip in Ted the traveller. The result was a new wing needed for Ted, a knackered steering system for the Juke rendering it undriveable and a broken wrist for the driver :-?
I've has an unnatural hatred of the Nissan since :x
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

The result was a new wing needed for Ted, a knackered steering system for the Juke rendering it undriveable and a broken wrist for the driver :-?
Blimey!
So the big bully 4X4 came off worse and the driver was injured. (Plus, of course, these days it was probably also an insurance write off!)
If they are all this fragile it kind of renders all these over-sized modern mobile ego extensions pointless / a waste of money........
Now there's a revelation.......
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

The damage to the Nissan looked superficial, just a scuff on the plastic 'bumper' but underneath - well. Later on I phoned the guy to get some further details from him, he was in A&E and had just come out of X-ray - wrist broken in three places :o
You can see in the skid marks where he hit me.

Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

I think it happened in the USA, but there was an accident involving a modern Mercedes where the internal safety structure broke in two causing the entire car to seperate like it had been sawn down the middle (width) with, sadly, no survivors.

That said, someone cheerfully pointed out on the forums a while back that in an accident Minor drivers get impaled by the steering column so I guess ancient or modern, there's always something.
Tinasminor
Minor Friendly

Post by Tinasminor »

panky wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:30 am The damage to the Nissan looked superficial, just a scuff on the plastic 'bumper' but underneath - well. Later on I phoned the guy to get some further details from him, he was in A&E and had just come out of X-ray - wrist broken in three places :o
You can see in the skid marks where he hit me.

Since my Mrs has been driving her MM daily she has seen more and more drivers pulling out dangerously to try and get ahead of her.
Steve.
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

I'm afraid it's an all too common occurrence. I think that a lot drivers pull out or pass because they think the Morris will be slow when in reality, it usually keeps up just fine in national speed limit zones.

I was very recently overtaken on a blind bend by a young guy driving a transit van. Not only was I sitting comfortably at 60 (the limit for the road) but the guy clearly also didn't realise that his van was limited to 50 on that road.
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

The bloke that hit me was parked up at the side of the road and decided to do a 'U' turn just as I passed :roll:
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

I drive for a living and could have my own TV show with the things I see on the road.Its just hard to believe how bad some people think it is ok to drive.