Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Boomlander
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Sensible upgrades ??

Post by Boomlander »

Willum's sensible upgrades:
Alternator, Front disc brakes, Servo, PVC glove box liner, Electronic fuel pump, Unleaded head, Temperature gauge, Power socket, Remote brake fluid reservoir, Auxiliary fuse unit, Reversing lights, Halogen headlights. Heated rear screen.
Willum's OTT upgrades :
Sun visor, Searchlight, Auxiliary driving lamps, Badge bar, Dashboard clock, 60s radio, Electric aerial, Insanely loud 50s Klaxon horn, Boot rack, 60s Fire extinguisher washer bottle, Sun roof, 60s Wheel trims. 😂

Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Ditto to the gauge glow :D
20220310_131723.jpg
20220310_131723.jpg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 796 times
Regards Bill
MikeNash
Minor Addict

Post by MikeNash »

Above, Mr Scrooge95 asks "and also a water or oil temperature gauge (which is better? Or both?)" Water temperature is more important but please fit an oil temperature gauge too! I've fitted one and know of no one else who's done so and with whom I can compare notes.
Regards to all from MikeN.
Morris Minor, the car of the future. One day they will all look like this!
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Mike
What about the magnets!!!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225089906773 ... Sw0odbrQMH
As you know from working with aircraft - oil temp is very important - a oil thermostat and/or a oil to coolant intercooler is/are a good idea. Helps get the oil up to temp quicker and cools the oil if it gets too warm.
Phil

MikeNash
Minor Addict

Post by MikeNash »

Ah yes, the magnets! I'm obliged to m'Learned Friend for his reminder.
Please, please fit magnets to ALL drain plugs i.e. engine, gearbox and back axle. Either drill your existing ones or buy new ones from your nearest plumber's store - you'll find that they're all BSPT thread and the store will charge you under a pound each - and fit, say, a 5mm dia x 10mm long neodymium bar magnet to each using Araldite two part adhesive. (The magnets are widely available; I've used these https://www.guysmagnets.com/neodymium-m ... m-rod-p140) and then you'll have peace of mind - until you take them out for the first time! Just remember its far better for all that crap to be stuck to the magnet rather than floating away into the bearing and gears.
Regards from Magnet MikeN.
Morris Minor, the car of the future. One day they will all look like this!
neilmorey
Minor Fan

Post by neilmorey »

My Traveller has been upgraded a fair bit but hopefully not too obviously. From the front:

Halogen headlamps
Electronic ignition
Alternator
Polybushed suspension (front & rear)
Disc brake conversion with remote reservoir
Replica 4.5" van wheels
Oil pressure, water temperature and voltmeter gauges.
LED bulbs in Speedo/ gauges.
Hazard warning lights
12v socket and USB outlet hidden under dash.
Intermittent wipe module by Smartscreen
Bluetooth amplifier under seats with speakers in kidney panels.
Interior sound proofing- from Noise Killer
Ford Streetka seats on JLH bases
Rear seat belts
LED Taillight bulbs

The sound proofing weighs a fair bit, the Ka seats are pretty obviously not original, and modern tyres don't look quite right, but otherwise a lot of people wouldn't notice these changes.
rocco
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by rocco »

StevetheJeep wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:26 am Hello fellow MM owners,
Having recently returned to the MM fold after a 40 year absence with a '67 Traveller which is a dry weather (ideally) second car around the many and frequently steep roads of north Devon and Somerset.
In spite of running against the gearbox downhill, it soon became obvious that it was incapable of actually stopping on the steepest long down hill, and sometimes being 'out braked' by it's younger brethren in front on ordinary roads.
Accordingly I fitted a servo and ventilated front discs with uprated rear shoes, resulting in confidence in it's stopping ability should any situation arise.
Becoming bored of being sat at the roadside twice with the AA due to condenser failure I fitted British made electronic ignition, so bye bye nice man in yellow van, and the car now starts and runs beautifully.
Finding the headlights became yellow if run with the heater fan 'on' and the (new) battery was not being well charged I fitted an alternator. That sorted that one.
The handling in the road was a bit 'vague' and any bump made it behave like a startled horse, I've fitted a new steering rack, and poly bushed both front and rear suspension, and filled the Armstrong shocks with SAE 40 oil. This makes it handle as well as, if not better than, when it left Abingdon 45 years ago.
The purists may berate me for these alterations/modifications (I have kept everything I've removed) but my Traveller is a delight to drive with confidence anywhere, whilst considering the terrain locally, turning in a respectable 35mpg on average.
Sun shining, dogs ready, Exmoor here we come!
Cheers
Steve
I think those are all very sensible upgrades and ones I am considering for my car - except for the front disks. There aren't many steep hills in my area so I'll just make sure I downshift and keep a big distance to the car in front whenever the occasion arises.
1961 Morris Minor 1000
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Magnetic drain plugs for sump, gearbox and diff - and an extra ashtray, even though I don't smoke! :lol:
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

simmitc wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:02 pm I believe that it is a legal requirement to have red reflectors on the rear of the vehicle. Unless the LED units also act as reflectors (*which, according to the description, yours do), then by removing the original reflectors, and driving on the road, you may be committing an offence; and should also fail the next MOT. This information is for anyone thinking of using similar products that may be slightly different. There is nothing wrong with having LEDs and reflectors, but you should fit the reflectors. Towed vehicles must display triangular reflectors of the prescribed dimensions.
Very True.
That is almost certainly the reason the SII Cars changed from the Glass Rectangular Rear Light to the oval plastic one, which incorporates the reflector each side.
The original Reflector provision on the MM/SII was the solitary one on the boot emblem, and it wasn't even the 1" minimum diameter that the Road Traffic Regulations call for.
Basil the 1955 series II