Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
NETTIE
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

The smell

Post by NETTIE »

The essence of old car interior i just love it
When you first open the door on a warm day that smell is incredible just like old churches and old books just love it.
Or am i nose blind.
THOSE WHO NEVER DO ANYTHING WRONG NEVER DO ANYTHING
Alan Bude Cornwall
James k
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: The smell

Post by James k »

I'm also a big fan of 'old car smell' but I no longer smell it in my Moggie, unfortunately. I don't know if it's gone or I've just become insensitive to it by driving it every day.

I did stick my head in an old mini at a car show recently (rectangular blue and green austin badge era) and that had a really unique strong smell that took me right back to my childhood.
NETTIE
Minor Fan

Post by NETTIE »

I was very surprised mine still had it considering the only thing original is the back seat and the sunvisers and it is still strong nice
Alan Bude Cornwall
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Once, as I was walking back to my car, I found this guy admiring it. We started talking and then he asked me if he could have a sniff of the car's interior. I duly obliged and he said it had made his day! :lol:
viewsonic1
Minor Fan

Post by viewsonic1 »

I often open the Morris door to sniff the interior. I did this eighteen months ago and couldn't smell a thing, then I had a covid test......
NETTIE
Minor Fan

Post by NETTIE »

viewsonic1 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:19 pm I often open the Morris door to sniff the interior. I did this eighteen months ago and couldn't smell a thing, then I had a covid test......
Are you ok now and have you got your smell back
Alan Bude Cornwall
viewsonic1
Minor Fan

Post by viewsonic1 »

Yes, thank you Nettie, everything's back to normal!
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

The only car my Dad ever owned when he came out of the army after WW2 was an old Hillman Minx in which we used to visit my Grandparents in North London.
The car was polished every week and I can still remember the smell of engine oil, leather and Johnson's Turtle Wax to this day.
Our Series 2 Minor Jethro had exactly the same smell when we opened the doors on the day he was delivered and it was just like travelling back in time to the 1950s.
Our latest little devil Willum has a slightly different smell probably due to the new seat covers but He's almost got it!
Vive Le Pong!! :lol:

mikec4193
Minor Friendly

Post by mikec4193 »

I have only owned one Morris and it had in its previous life (before me) the seats and the door cards were swapped out so it didn't have any vintage smell to it...I have owned several older VW's Beetles and they always had that distinct vintage VW smell...I love that smell too...

New cars don't have it for sure...

Thanks for sharing...

MikeC