Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Jim McCrae
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Traveller Window Mystery

Post by Jim McCrae »

Here's an interesting puzzle.

After driving a short distance, one of the rear windows on my traveller slides forward. I clip it shut before setting off but after 2 or 3 miles the window is fully open. I intend to jam the catch closed but I can't fathom what causes this.

Any suggestions?
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Traveller Window Mystery

Post by simmitc »

You're very lucky to have the windows that move, many people find that they are stuck shut. Is your's the early catch that flips up and over, or the later one that slides down into a metal cut-out? In either case, I suspect that it's sympathetic vibrations that cause the catch to release.
Jim McCrae
Minor Friendly

Post by Jim McCrae »

The windows slide reasonably easily as I have replaced all of the runners. (Maybe I should have left them stuck shut!)
My car is a later model - 1965.
Yes I guess that vibrations is the likely cause.
PhilipW1039
Minor Fan

Post by PhilipW1039 »

I have the later Traveller as well but the opposite issue; if anything my catches are too tight. Just an idea but you might be able to re-site the bracket that the catch slides into if, as it sounds, it doesn’t currently slide far enough in/down. Could be an easy fix. Probably isn’t, but it could be :D
Philip

Just gradually working things out...
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Using a pair of long nose pliers, and being careful, you could bend the end of the sliding catch away from the glass so that it is sprung against the socket, and therefore less likely to vibrate out.
Grumpy21
Minor Fan

Post by Grumpy21 »

Jim McCrae wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:20 pm Here's an interesting puzzle.

After driving a short distance, one of the rear windows on my traveller slides forward. I clip it shut before setting off but after 2 or 3 miles the window is fully open. I intend to jam the catch closed but I can't fathom what causes this.

Any suggestions?

Google “gyroscopic precession” and you’ll likely find out why. One of my back seat bolt continuously works lose for what I think is the same reason.
Jim McCrae
Minor Friendly

Post by Jim McCrae »

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I have tweaked the catch a bit and it seems to have helped.
Flywheel
Minor Fan

Post by Flywheel »

With regards to stuck traveller sliding windows. Is ok to (lightly) oil the runners?

Any thoughts opinions welcome. Thanks.👍
What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? :roll:
W. Clement Stone
Jim McCrae
Minor Friendly

Post by Jim McCrae »

A bit of lubrication shouldn't do any harm but I would be inclined to use a silicone lubricant rather than oil. On my car there were two issues that prevented the windows from sliding. Firstly, the runners had deteriorated and needed replaced. Secondly, the opening in the wooden frame was to tight - I planed and sanded the frame to improve the fit.
Good luck
Flywheel
Minor Fan

Post by Flywheel »

Noted, thanks Jim.👍
What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? :roll:
W. Clement Stone