Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
nutmegct
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

1957 Traveller jacking points

Post by nutmegct »

I've found several references in the forum recommending *not* to use the standard side jacking points.

I don't have original style Morris screw type jack, but I do have two scissor jacks.

What point under the car should I place the jack to raise a front wheel?

What point to raise a rear wheel?

(I won't be working under the car - just want to spin each wheel to find which brake is sticking.)

Thanks.
Tom M.
Bowie69
Minor Fan

Re: 1957 Traveller jacking points

Post by Bowie69 »

If in good nick they are fine to use for what you want.

If you want to jack up somewhere else you need to use a different jack -trolley most likely. Then you can jack up under the eyebolt at the front, or under the diff pumpkin/under the spring plates at the rear.
nutmegct
Minor Fan

Post by nutmegct »

Those two original jacking points are in very good condition. I'll give them a try.
Thanks.
Tom M.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

You can use the scissors type jack without any problem but use the type with a flat top. :tu1:
If you jack up under the front suspension eye bolt make sure that you use a piece of flat wood to spread the load over the chassis leg.
You can use a scissors jack under the rear spring just to the rear of the rear spring front mount bracket. Again use a piece of wood between jack and spring.
If you really want to jack the Minor this is what I use under the front cross member, easy to make and gives a level lift across the front of the car.
Jacking pad (2).jpg
Jacking pad (2).jpg (988.85 KiB) Viewed 248 times

nutmegct
Minor Fan

Post by nutmegct »

Thanks Phil. I made a wooden block like that for my TR3. Maybe I can rustle around and find it.
Tom M.