Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
DCMVan70
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Slow petrol filling?

Post by DCMVan70 »

Hi All

I have an issue filling up the petrol tank in my van. I have to go really slowly and hold the petrol pump head almost outside of the filler, otherwise it just blows back and I end up with spilled petrol and tears in my eyes - because of the cost of the fule on the floor, not the fumes!

I have upgraded to a new high capacity tank from ESM as the old one had a hole in the filler neck. I pulled the tank and have checked that the breather pip on the top is clear - though it does extend into the filler pipe of the tank more than I would have expected. I have also checked that the concentric pipes in the filler tube are free, and that the air gap is on the top. I am not sure if that all makes sense, but does anyone have any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Regards
David
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Re: Slow petrol filling?

Post by myoldjalopy »

It seems to be that modern pumps dispense petrol faster than in days of yore and the old Minor system can't quite cope with this - many have previously raised this issue on here. I always slow down the delivery when getting near full to avoid exactly this problem.
alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by alanworland »

My 2 door filler has a tube inside the the main outside filler to let displaced air/fumes up the space between the two, hopefully avoiding a gush back.
Has yours got a double tube?

Alan
DCMVan70
Minor Friendly

Post by DCMVan70 »

Hi and thanks for the replies.

I expect filling to be slow, but this is really slow, I reckon I could pour it in out of a can faster than filling it up from the pump, and it happens even when the tank is empty. It overflows as soon as I get more than about an inch inside the filler, even with the trigger barely pulled.

Yes, I have the tube inside the tube type of filler just like you Alan.

It must be a flow thing, so I have checked the filler tube (concentric offset tubes) is not blocked, the rubber connection between the tank neck mand the filler tube seems straight and the air pipe on the top of the tank is not blocoked, so I am at a loss.

I am wondering if the inner ipe in the filler is too small - might try one without it?

Regards
David
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Filling the Minor tank has always been slow.
I am reminded of an incident in the early 1970s when filling the tank on my Minor 1000 at a garage on the A38 just south of Gloucester. The pump assistant was most concerned about fuel blow back especially as it was a Minor - he must have had a bad experience filling a Minor tank - I assured him that the fuel tank filler pipe was clear and the fuel tank never blew back. You can guess what happened next - the poor old pump assistant was covered in petrol from the knees down. He was not too happy. :evil: I quickly paid and left even though there must have been at least half a gallon of petrol on his trousers and on the forecourt floor. Happy days.

James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

I always slow right down when the tank is nearing full to avoid major blowback.

A few years ago, I filled up on the way to work and got absolutely covered in petrol after it exploded out the filler pipe. The most annoying part was having to deal with people saying 'can you smell petrol???' all day!
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Must be different on a traveller as I've never has an issue filling up.