Correct spark plug type?

Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
beavan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Correct spark plug type?

Post by beavan »

I’ve been thinking for some time now about selling up, due to lack of car knowledge and lack of time for maintenance. There aren’t many garages willing to work on a car if this age.
Such a shame as it’s been in the family from new, (1955) and from when I was a baby my grandma always said the was could be left for me as I was fascinated with it. And here we are now, I’ve barely run the car due to continuously repairing it! Engine reconditioned, entire braking system replaced (by a garage)… I spent just over a week replacing the water pump and hoses, almost 2 weeks stripping and cleaning the carb, and more recently a day trying to start it (possibly down to wrong plugs) 😂
I probably spend a day each year going around the car with the grease gun and oil lubing up everything … but only manage to do about 300 miles a year if I’m lucky (only take it when dry weather forecast!)
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

You may regret it if you do - what would your grandma think? Remember, these cars are old and things will go wrong and wear out periodically. But there should come a point when most of the things that fail will have been replaced/fixed and you can enjoy trouble-free motoring. The darkest hour is just before dawn!
beavan

Post by beavan »

Bit of a leap into the unknown. I found a fuel leak from the bar which is attached to the throttle. After removing the carb to check the seals I’ve decided to drill out the hole that the bar that holds the throttle disk. I’ve sourced something from a Morris spares site which I just insert into the bored out holes which should stop the leak. If it fails then new carb time. If that faults then the car will probably become a barn find for some enthusiast in the future!!
serowman
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by serowman »

beware lot of fake NGK plugs around
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

beavan
Can you please enlarge on what you are doing with the throttle spindle/disk?
If you are referring to the fitting of spindle bushes be aware that the throttle body needs to be accurately reamed (not drilled) otherwise the holes end up misaligned and the spindle can jam.
See notes attached to the links below.
https://sucarb.co.uk/throttle-spindle-bush-1-4in.html
https://sucarb.co.uk/throttle-spindle-bush-5-16in.html

beavan

Post by beavan »

The throttle spindle. I have noticed when fitted and engine running, slight seepage of fuel from the spindle where it passes though the main body of the carb. On removal of the spindle and disk I can see that the slot that the spindle slides through is brass…so I’m assuming it has already had bushes fitted at some point. Planning on drilling out the brass bushes and fitting the new ones supplied by Burlen?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

beavan
Many thanks for the reply.
I would still be looking to ream out the brass bushes in preference to drilling for the reasons I stated in my post above.
Phil

beavan

Post by beavan »

Hi Phil - this is completely off the original topic of spark plugs, but all stemmed from there. I decided to leave them in, refitted the carb will all new seals etc and tuned the car as per instruction that came with the Burlen SU seal kit. The engine did start with the pull knob on first fitting for me to tune. However when I turned the engine off to refit the air filter(I didn’t fancy leaning over the spinning fan to fit it), it now will not start. I managed to start the car with the crank handle through the front bumper and took the car for the spin, the car drives lovey and is now leak free.
I can’t see how I could have disturbed anything that would stop the car from starting? When I turn the ignition on, I hear the pump click, but pulling the starter knob just makes a whirring sound.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

As a first off thought the battery has had it or at least on its last legs..
I had a similar problem with my modern recently - the car ran perfectly - dropped my wife off at the hospital - went to start the car - battery flat - managed to get a jump start - car ran well - car into garage - battery tested - found battery shot - battery replaced - car o.k.
Modern batteries tend to fail all of a sudden.

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Alternatively, the spiral on which the starter pinion operates may be dirty preventing the pinion moving far enough to engage with the flywheel. Check the battery first, but if this is OK the starter spiral may need cleaning - do not oil as this attracts dirt which can cause it to get stuck again.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

Seems likely a discharged/dead battery. Without further tests we can not be sure why. Or if it is recoverable or needs replacing.

Charging system not working? Battery discharged due to an unwanted load? Terminals or ground connections high resistance? Starter motor dead? Starter bendix needs attention/replacement?

First check is battery voltage if a meter is available. Might need to check head light operation, if not.

Nothing insurmountable, for sure. Just need to know what the real problem is, before making expensive/time consuming guesses.