Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mr Spigot
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Reversing light permanently on.

Post by Mr Spigot »

I have just fitted a reversing light but as soon as the ignition is turned on, the light comes on and stays on, no matter what gear it is in.

I have used a standard switch on the standard midget 1275 gearbox remote control casing next to the gear lever with two green wires coming out of it. I have connected one of the wires to the lamp and the other to the live feed to the fuel pump. Is there a way to adjust the switch?
1960 2 door with 1275 Midget engine - WOI 577
1952 MM convertible with original engine - MWD 305
simmitc

Re: Reversing light permanently on.

Post by simmitc »

First off, remove the switch and grab a multimeter. Check to see whether the switch is working correctly by pressing and releasing the bit that fits inside the gearbox. If yes, then try screwing it slowly into position, checking to see whether the contact has been made. You may need to pack the switch with shims/washers. If the switch is OK, then check the gearbox remote control. One thought, are you using the correct hole for the switch?
Mr Spigot
Minor Fan

Re: Reversing light permanently on.

Post by Mr Spigot »

Thanks, I will give that a go. It is a new switch so should be working, but I will check. It is screwed into the hole in front and to the right of the gear lever facing forward. Presumably needs adjusting my screwing it in and out of the hole?
1960 2 door with 1275 Midget engine - WOI 577
1952 MM convertible with original engine - MWD 305