Hoist Lifting Points

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
TomDymond
MMOC Member: Yes

Hoist Lifting Points

Post by TomDymond »

Hi there - I've recently bought two MMs: a '51 lowlight two door saloon and a '52 convertible. I have a two post hoist in my garage: where are the best points to lift these cars? Thank you in advance, Tom.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Hoist Lifting Points

Post by geoberni »

I guess it depends on how secure/rotten the undersides are.

The early car jacking points were in the corners, in each wheel arch, but later 1000 models have a single jacking point in the middle of each side.
I would say that if the underside is OK, then this site might give you the idea.
Scroll about 3/4 down the page and there are a few photos.
http://www.californiaclassix.com/archiv ... _c620.html
Basil the 1955 series II

paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

I always lift mine behind the front wheels just inboard of the A post and just outboard of the front, rear spring hanger.
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Be very careful with the convertible. Without the roof, it is robbed of a lot of its strength. I once saw a convertible in a garage where I was getting an mot that was a very funny shape ! The car was in for a service but the garage never considered putting it on the four post lift, just stuck it straight on the two post lift and the end result was that the doors wouldn't close any more :-(

Ensure the sills and floors are in good order. In terms of suitable lifting points, I'd suggest the spring hangar at the rear and the front chassis leg/suspension mount.