Door Assembly

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MaffC
MMOC Member: No

Door Assembly

Post by MaffC »

The front doors on my 54 Series 2 have been stripped down to component parts. Everything except the winder mechanism having been removed. Due to lack of space round the car, and my own restricted mobility I think it best to reassemble the doors, THEN get my son to help refit to the car. Can anyone advise on the correct order to reassemble? I imagine the glass must be last as it would be in the way of everything else. It looks a right PITA as there’s so little room in there
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: Door Assembly

Post by ManyMinors »

I would say that the glass needs to be one of the first items to be fitted. Certainly not the last. The job is explained in the workshop manual. The external handle needs to be fitted early on as well and cannot be done afterwards. It is all pretty simple really but handle and glass and then the upper frame - assuming that is all in one piece? The 2door and the 4door cars differ in some details but the principal is largely the same.
Are you saying that the doors are stripped down AND are not fitted to the car?? If so, I would fit the door BEFORE building it up, as it will be much less heavy. Final adjustments will have to be made later once assembled though.
Was it not yourself who took it to pieces?
MaffC

Post by MaffC »

Thanks for your reply. It was me that stripped it down many years ago. A long string of medical issues has meant the project has stalled. I’m hoping to find a way of getting it going again. One of the problems is the car is in a garage that’s a bit too narrow to work on the doors, and I struggle bending. I thought it might be easier to do the work on the bench, then when my son visits let him help with heavy job of reattaching the door
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

I've always found it best to fit and adjust the door first and then fit the glass and frame and adjust to fit the frame.

One trick to help with fitting: Attach the hinges to the door. Cut the head off a suitable bolt and fit that to the hinge mounting in the post. You can then hang the door on that bolt whilst fitting the remaining bolts. Remove the headless bolt and fit a complete one.

If space is tight, work outside on a good day, lay some old carpet on the ground to protect the door and your knees.