Work on van

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Work on van

Post by jagnut66 »

I was offered £500 for it and wished I had taken it.
You have a very nice van there, if you let it go you will only regret it.
Especially for £500! :wink:
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

My nephew is going to take his MGB to a local village fair on Saturday and they usually have a collection of different of classics on display so I might take the the van. I have just got to give it a hoover out as its already been polished as I use it for work twice a week.

morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

I've booked my van in for a local Jubilee classic car show but I had to do a lot of painting underneath as all the underseal the classic car restorer had put had come off and was back to bare metal and it does not get used over the winter only when there is no salt on the road and it is dry.

morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

My van is booked in to have some work done on it at a different garage as it was restored last year as the garage that worked on it last year did not do a very good job. The garage the that is going to work on it I know people who had their cars repaired and very happy with them he also did a job on it last year.

morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

My van was reversed into today and damaged the front wing only small damage. i spoke to my insurance company and they are deciding whether it worth repairing as its an old car and replacing the wing and spraying will cost more than the van is worth as its over fifty years old and they are only worth not much. I'm not best pleased.
Last edited by morris van on Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Damaged front wing and they consider it a probable write off. You must be joking ! :D
If they actually do write it off, please let us know what they value it at. ——- I still think you’re joking though!

morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

I said to the insurance company it was restored last year. They want me to get an estimate done before they decide whether to go ahead. I can't do much until Monday so I have to time off work for someone to look at it. It's alright to use as only small dent in wing but looks awful and only needs a wing and headlight is undamaged. I hope it can be repaired. A friend two years ago only £500 for his van when it was written off.

panky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by panky »

My traveller was bumped a few years ago and sounds like similar damage to yours. It was repaired without complaint from the insurance company, I just needed to get a couple of estimates and an assessor came to have a look. I did have the culprits details though and he admitted full liability.

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

[quote=its an old car and replacing the wing and spraying will cost more than the van is worth as its over fifty years old and they are only worth not much.
[/quote]
Try telling those selling LCVs on eBay that !!!

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

This is why it is best to get an agreed value for your vehicle in your insurance cover so that, in this instance, the wing repair costs cannot possibly be argued as being more than the value of the vehicle. Nevertheless, it should be possible to challenge the company with evidence of what good vans are now selling for.
morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

I've got agreed value and when I spoke to the insurance company they were unsure what a Morris Minor van was he said was it a Morris Marina van I said no and this from a company recommended by the club. :-(

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Two Questions, if I may. What figure did you set the agreed value at ? ——-and the company insured your van on an agreed policy, even though they weren’t sure what it was ?

morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

I'll let you know when I get it sorted out

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Ok, fare enough, if you can’t recall what you valued it at —- but I can’t see the replacement wing costing ‘more than the van is worth’ as I’m sure you’d have set the agreed value at more than the cost of a new wing!! The van is worth the agreed value.
I’m getting rather confused with this thread, maybe it’s me. :o

morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

I got a message from the insurance today and they have agreed for me to get it repaired at the garage that has done work on it before so I took the van to the garage and he'll do an estimate and then book it in when he has sent estimate to the insurance company. I did ring the insurance this morning had a bit of a moan it seemed to have worked.

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Let's all hope it gets sorted quickly - but the agreed value (and make/type of vehicle) should be on your insurance documents, surely? There shouldn't be any quibble about this.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Good luck and glad things are now moving on, however I should check you policy because from the comments you insurance company made to you in one of your previous posts, they give the impression you have a standard policy rather than agreed. Worth checking !

morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

The insurance have given the OK for the garage to repair my van and I am taking it to the garage next Monday and he said it should not take long.

morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

I dropped off my van off on Monday and I got a call today to say it was all done but he said the headlight wasn't working on high beam on opposite that was damaged it was when I took it I said I had a couple of new headlights I'll put one in when I get home and neither worked so must be a loose connection so I'm taking it back tomorrow as all connections are loose and also there a large chip on paint work near the front wing that was replaced about the size of a one pence piece. I'm a little peed off.

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

You don’t have much luck with garages do you ? Why don’t you sort out the connections yourself ? The light wiring is not over complicated and there’s plenty of help here.