Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mobylette
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Pair of Metal Headlamp Bowls & Gaskets.

Post by mobylette »

I am having a bit of a clear out and found these metal headlamp bowls I bought some years ago but never fitted. I seem to remember there are two types, one with a big spring tensioning the outer bowl to the inner, and one without, mine are without. If anyone can tell me which car the "springless" bowls fit, I will list them in the for sale section. Thanks
Attachments
IMG_20220526_144251839.jpg
IMG_20220526_144251839.jpg (1.75 MiB) Viewed 437 times
IMG_20220526_144302644.jpg
IMG_20220526_144302644.jpg (353.24 KiB) Viewed 438 times
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Re: Pair of Metal Headlamp Bowls & Gaskets.

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

The ones without are for the earlier cars with replaceable bulbs, the bowls with springs and metal inner are for sealed beam only.
mobylette
Minor Fan

Post by mobylette »

Thank you
jaekl
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by jaekl »

Here in the States we only had sealed beam and there was an earlier one that held the inner ring with three screws rather than two instead of the spring. None of the components were the same. The change over was early in Series III run.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Oh, .....well I don't see what the difference need be.

Although I've subsequently fitted LED Lamps to them, Basil has Halogen Replacement Units fitted and has 2 different bowls, one plastic, one metal.....
The Metal Bowl has an 'inner' the Plastic one doesn't....

So make of that what you will....
Please excuse the taped up sidelight wiring, these are old photos from when I fitted the LEDs and not my standards of wiring. They were the POs upgrade of the headlights... :roll:
20191229_120537.jpg
20191229_120537.jpg (1.59 MiB) Viewed 375 times
20191229_120521.jpg
20191229_120521.jpg (1.91 MiB) Viewed 375 times
JOWETTJAVELIN wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:12 pm The ones without are for the earlier cars with replaceable bulbs, the bowls with springs and metal inner are for sealed beam only.
Not according to AKD3541, since both styles are illustrated as being used with the Bulbs, but only the Inner Bowl one was used with the Sealed Beam.
Fair to assume therefore the Sealed Beam came after the 'Inner Bowl' and they were not directly connected.
What purpose the inner serves I have no idea.
headlamp Illustration.JPG
headlamp Illustration.JPG (220.69 KiB) Viewed 375 times
Basil the 1955 series II

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

It is there to protect the glass of the sealed beam unit.
mobylette
Minor Fan

Post by mobylette »

So I have made a right c**k up here :oops: . The (outer) bowls I have are the top ones in the illustration and I have attempted to fit the inner bowls shown in the lower illustration to them, not surprising that I never used them as this combination will not work. I will separate inner and outer and offer for sale, if anyone is interested please send me a PM. Thanks again to everyone for the information.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

JOWETTJAVELIN wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:40 pm It is there to protect the glass of the sealed beam unit.
I can understand you having that opinion, although to protect the glass from what?
The rear of the Sealed Beam is quite thick glass and how would it get damaged by anything from inside the Lamp Bowl?
Perhaps it was the reverse, and Sealed Beams produced more heat in the rear of the Bowl, requiring some heat protection for the wiring?
But thatt doesn't explain why they would use the Inner Bowl version with Bulb Units, given the tight financial pressures of producing the cars.
The Lamp Units seem to have been called the Mk VI and the Mk X, irrespective of whether fitted with Sealed Beam or Bulb. :-?
Perhaps one of those things we'll never know the full answer to?

The AKD3541 shows 2 different shape Bulbs, but there are more than 2 part numbers depending on market.
lamps.JPG
lamps.JPG (221.03 KiB) Viewed 342 times
Basil the 1955 series II

jaekl
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by jaekl »

The inner bowl and the chrome ring clamp and hold the glass whether it be sealed beam or not. It's this inner bowl assembly that can be moved to aim the headlamp. The old style has screws at 3 and 9 for right and left and one at 12 for up and down. The later one uses the spring opposite two screws to facilitate the adjustment.