Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
radioactiveman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Steering wheel horn push...

Post by radioactiveman »

Hello folks... I’ve had to replace my horn push as the old one broke on removal. It seems at some point it had been glued in (hence the breaking). My understanding is that this is meant to be a friction fit?

Anyway, my new one is very loose (I guess this is why someone used glue in the past :cry: ) and it pops back out with the resistance of the insulator spring beneath it.

Any ideas what’s happened? I can’t imagine the steering wheel hole has got bigger :-?
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Re: Steering wheel horn push...

Post by stuffedpike20 »

There should be 2 'U' shaped metal clips pushed onto the bottom of the horn push.
They each have exterior metal teeth that grip the inside of the steering wheel when you push the horn push in.
The clips are available from ESM. Search horn push retaining clip, part number HRN105C.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

The correct/original clip - If your car has the later 2 spoke steering wheel - is this, with the barbs on just one side.
Attachments
Hornpush clip.JPG
Hornpush clip.JPG (67.81 KiB) Viewed 679 times
radioactiveman
Minor Fan

Post by radioactiveman »

I’m an idiot :lol:

I took a proper look in the envelope and there were two little clips (the type you’ve all linked to) in the bag that my horn push came in from ESM. I didn’t even think to look before you mentioned them.

However, the ‘e clip’ that’s on the end of the horn wire bullet found it’s way down the crack at the back of the passenger seat never to be seen again :x :x

Thanks guys!