Handbrake not working

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
pettittjt@gmail.com
MMOC Member: Yes

Handbrake not working

Post by pettittjt@gmail.com »

I can't fathom out how the handbrake pulls on the rear brake cylinder to slide it. There doesn't seem to be a pivot. Should I be able to see it move when the brake drum is off?
I'm wondering if I need to replace the handbrake cable, my car has a new cable on the nearside but the offside is old (although still pulls up).
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Handbrake not working

Post by philthehill »

The brake shoes contacting and pressing against the drum centralise the cylinder in the slot of the backplate. There is no pivot as such. You should see actuation of the brake shoes when applying the handbrake with the drum off but you will not get centralisation of the cylinder in the slot as the brake shoe has nothing to push against to centralise it.
Use the search facility for details on how to set the handbrake.

kennatt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kennatt »

the brake cable is attached to a lever which fits into the brake cylinder which inturn fits into a slot on the piston when you pull the brake ,the lever via a pivot,slides the piston out of the cylinder pushing the the brake shoe onto the drum ,with the drum on the, cylinder slides to centralise the pressure on both shoes. Sometimes the lever sticks in the cylinder,with a free lever you should be able to press it by hand and see the piston/and one shoe move .If solid,try taking the rubber boot off and spraying the entry point of the lever into the cylinder with penetrating oil(It can't get into the internals of the cylinder) See if it frees up, if it does then get some copper slip into the joint to prevent repetition.
pettittjt@gmail.com

Post by pettittjt@gmail.com »

Thanks guys for your helpful comments. I have replaced the handbrake cable with no improvement. I will try to spray some WD40 into the back of the cylinder. I think things may have ceased or dried up as I haven't driven the car for a while.
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

I would not bother with WD40, it is useless stuff, and will eventually cause everything to rust.
Use penetrating oil that leaves an oily residue.
My local pound shop sells 3 in 1 oil in little aerosols.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

For the price of new parts I wouldn't bother trying to free-off corroded old brake parts. Brakes are too important. You can purchase a new PAIR of rear wheel cylinders from ESM for as little as £20.00 delivered to your door! Neither would I fit a single handbrake cable when these are even cheaper. The aim is to have even braking on each side after all :wink: