MGB rear dampers

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Andyeagle8
MMOC Member: Yes

MGB rear dampers

Post by Andyeagle8 »

I’m in the process of restoring a 1962 4 door. It has Spax telescopic dampers all round, the back ones are shot. I’d like to revert to lever arms but can’t justify the cost of buying a pair outright. I’ve got a good pair of MGB rears which I’ve heard could be made to fit. Has anyone attempted this and if so, what modifications are required? Any description or photos would be most helpful.
Thanks in advance.
Andyeagle8

Re: MGB rear dampers

Post by Andyeagle8 »

Obviously, this hasn’t been successfully attempted. I will look for alternatives.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Is there any reason why you can’t compare the Spax with the MGB ones that you have, and subsequently see what needs doing to make them fit ? The difference in closed/open dimensions would be a start, then you might consider any differences in bush diameters and width.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The main difference between the Minor lever arm dampers and the MGB lever arm dampers is the orientation of the mounting bolt holes in relation the lever arc. The Minor damper is mounted at an angle whilst the MGB damper is mounted horizontally.
I cannot see any reason that the MGB dampers cannot be fitted/used.
You could use a adapter plate for the MGB dampers which in turn is attached to the original Minor damper mount bracket. I cannot give you any dimensions for a adapter plate but offering up the damper to the Minor mounting bracket the dimension requirements for the adapter plate should be obvious. Alternatively you may find that mounting the MGB damper on the Minor damper mount bracket by using one of the Minor damper mount holes and rotating the MGB damper to get it horizontal will give you the position of the second mount hole.
A bit of trial and error should see you complete the job. Good luck.

anthony22
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by anthony22 »

I have a pair for sale ,exchange value plus postage from da4 They each weigh 2 kilo

Morris minor rears ,no linkages .They were very firm tested when I them in a vice.