Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
acrobinson
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

HELP: Rocker Cover Seals:

Post by acrobinson »

Hello folks,

This is a real rivet counters question but can anyone assist in helping me find the correct rocker cover seals for my 1275 A Series engine?

Apparently, in the dim, distant past, someone has swapped my rocker cover for a (Mini?) John Cooper Works cover, or so I am told and it uses different seals to those I have seen in all the usual Morris/Mini spares places.

The height of the seals is shallower and they have a push fit into the rocker cover. They have the reference B5 1262 on them although this has thrown up nothing on Google. Photo attached.

I'm sure the "normal" seals will suffice but it would be nice to have the correct items.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
IMG_2341.JPG
IMG_2341.JPG (585.29 KiB) Viewed 528 times
IMG_2340.JPG
IMG_2340.JPG (288.56 KiB) Viewed 528 times
Monty-4
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: HELP: Rocker Cover Seals:

Post by Monty-4 »

If you can't find any "off the shelf" I'd recommend contacting www.fpeseals.com. They can make up anything you want, given some measurements.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
acrobinson
Minor Friendly

Post by acrobinson »

Massive :tu1: :D thanks for the link, I've sent them an e-mail. Much appreciated.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The part of the seal shown above & which fits into the rocker cover is completely deformed. The shank should be straight (3.8mm deep) so it is no good offering up the seal shown as a pattern. The head thickness of the seal should be no less than 6mm otherwise the steel cap which fits over the seal will not provide any squash to the seal as it bottoms out against the rocker cover.
The concave depth of the steel cap is 3.5mm.
The later seals were increased in thickness to 8.5mm so as remove any possible bottoming of the steel cap which is a common problem.
The NOS poly rocker cover seals I have (Pt No: 12A1358) are 7.6mm thick.
So overall the thicker seals are better in sealing the rocker cover stud holes.
See also:-
http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... o%20search

acrobinson
Minor Friendly

Post by acrobinson »

That's super useful. Many thanks for all the history and details. I was expecting a JC upgrade part to be better than the original seal but obviously not. FYI, the bottom part of the seal shown is not deformed but shaped to allow a positive fit into the rocker cover. I was merely offering up the seal above as a reference as to what it looks like and not a pattern so not sure what you mean there. Yes, I recall the old steel caps bottoming out so that makes total sense. Sounds like I'm better of buying a standard replacement seal. Cheers again :tu1:
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I am afraid that is how the rocker cover seals deform. Even the old but genuine BMC seals end up like that.
As regards the reference to pattern if was in relation to http://www.fpeseals.com/ who I am sure would require a pattern or dimensions to determine what is/was required.

acrobinson
Minor Friendly

Post by acrobinson »

Excellent, many thanks. All clear and understood.