Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Meggie moggy
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

rattling windows

Post by Meggie moggy »

Another quick job goes South I have replaced the window runner channels on Meggie and have followed all the instructions 're drilling drainage holes and caulk all has gone well but the main window (for the passenger seat) is loose in the channels and rattles.
What have I done wrong?
Meggie living in West Sussex. Slowly being restored.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: rattling windows

Post by oliver90owner »

You will have to relate exactly what you did, and how, when you apparently replaced these runners and managed to leave the fitting of the glass/frame loose. We can’t see from our computers/phones where the rattles are originating from.
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

When I was the Saturday lad at Halfords in the sixties we sold loads of rubber wedges to insert between car windows and runners / frames to stop rattling !
Not the solution you want / or need but thats how it used to be done !
Meggie moggy
Minor Friendly

Post by Meggie moggy »

Sorry for the vagueness of my original post.
I replaced both bottom window runners and both side channels.
The top runners were left in situ as they were/are in a good condition, the bottom channels were completely rotten and fell apart as I removed them.
After cleaning all the debris from the timber and cleaning all the drainage holes I ran a line of waterproof caulk along the the timber then with the glass in place I screwed the channels into position.
Finally after refuting all the trim the windows ran nicely in the channels but are loose hence the rattling which is very apparent when driving.
Hope this helps.
Steve
Meggie living in West Sussex. Slowly being restored.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Ah, we're talking about Traveller sliding windows, not the wind-up windows in the door - that will affect the advice offered, so always worth being specific when describing a problem,

You have probably not done anything wrong, it's just that materials vary. The usual complaint on Travellers is that the sliding windows are so stiff that they do not slide, so in some ways you're lucky. Is the glass loose in the top channel that you did not replace, or only in the new channels?

The channels are flexible, so you could close them slightly and push some slim fillets or packing pieces between the side of the channel and the timber, or use a piece of small quadrant hardwood beading to brace the sides where they are not against the main frame.