Starting Dad's old Minor

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
moggy1756
MMOC Member: No

Re: Starting Dad's old Minor

Post by moggy1756 »

Alice Minor wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:19 am I hope everyone is ok about me posting my experiences on here ? , if so then anything you think I’m doing wrong or could be done a better way PLEASE don’t hesitate to shout up 👍
Hi Alice, I know this is a very old post, but grateful to you as I'm having same problems and am so nervous all the time in case I break down in a roundabout or traffic lights! I'm in the early stages of finding the choke point myself.... And this is my 5th moggy!!!
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by myoldjalopy »

'moggy1756' - as long as the car is regularly serviced and fitted with good quality components, there is little risk of breaking down at a roundabout or anywhere else. Look after the car and it will look after you! 8)
As far as use of the choke is concerned, plenty of advice earlier in this thread......
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

My 20 year old son is using his virtually every day, as long as he remembers to put fuel in it its been no trouble (only issue has been the horn packing up because a part was missing but hardly a critical issue).
moggy1756

Post by moggy1756 »

myoldjalopy wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:48 am 'moggy1756' - as long as the car is regularly serviced and fitted with good quality components, there is little risk of breaking down at a roundabout or anywhere else. Look after the car and it will look after you! 8)
As far as use of the choke is concerned, plenty of advice earlier in this thread......
Hi there, well I've only had her a few months and insisted the van had MOT on purchase. It broke down on way home! Have had new coil and head gasket and two new tyres so far!! Don't think the Not was worth the paper it was written on. My mechanic is very good so he's gonna adjust the carb tomorrow as it does seem to be running rich. Fingers crossed after that I shall enjoy happy motoring. I always make sure it's regularly serviced, classic or otherwise. I think after reading the thread I'll be only needing very little choke
So glad for this forum!
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by myoldjalopy »

Often owners find things going wrong with their new purchase due to previous neglect. But after a while these gremlins become eliminated and, as long as you maintain and service it properly, the car will settle down into 'reliability'. As the majority of breakdowns are ignition related, I suggest you get your ignition parts from the Distributor Doctor as his parts are top-quality = reliable. There are many cheap, repro inition parts on EBay etc. which will only let you down in the middle of BFN on a dark and stormy night!