Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Grumpy21
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

What would you do if….

Post by Grumpy21 »

…. It was less expensive.

I’d really like to fit a full new interior to my traveller but at nearly £2000 I’d don’t think that represents good economical sense. Mine isn’t falling apart or tatty just not as good as the rest of the car. But if I replaced it I guess I’d add about £500 to the cars value so effectively losing £1500, it doesn’t make sense. I tend to keep my cars for a couple of years then move onto something else to play with (I’m liking the traveller though!)

So my discussion starter is, what would you do to your car if it wasn’t so expensive but won’t because it doesn’t make sense?
Last edited by Grumpy21 on Mon May 09, 2022 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: What would you do if….

Post by philthehill »

I personally would just leave it as it is. 8)

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Depends - if merely cosmetic then leave as is, or 'tart up' a bit and leave until some cash is available. If something that prevents you from actually driving the car then you have a different problem! :-?
jimmy167
Minor Friendly

Post by jimmy167 »

My Traveller had a full rebuild 4 years ago ,but is still original engine and gearbox ,I did fancy having a 1275 and 5 speed box with a better exhaust and manifold . However like you Grumpy I have a Morgan if I need a bit of oomph .I therefor decided that driving along not caring who passes me ,always complying with speed limits and enjoying the journey was the way to go .
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Personally I prefer preservation to restoration. New interiors show none of the cars history.
But not a purist either, updates to make it more useable in modern traffic such as indicators, hazard lights, seat belts and improved brakes I'm good with.
The main thing IMHO is to do it for yourself not for others and enjoy it while you own it :tu1:
Regards Bill
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

I would do a "peak Issigonis" build - a lowlight with a flat-four engine and rear torsion bar suspension!
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

philthehill wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:25 am I personally would just leave it as it is. 8)

Ahem, are we to infer from that then Phil that your car is as it was when you bought it? :lol:
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

No way - trim and lightness do not go together :wink:
When I had my Ser 2 the interior trim was as factory spec but well worn with a distinct patina and I enjoyed it as it was. Remember it is only original once. :tu1:

Grumpy21
Minor Fan

Post by Grumpy21 »

Oops, this was meant as a conversation starter as I've seen on other platforms, not should I do the interior or not.

What would YOU like to do to YOUR car but cant justify the expense?

On my Traveller, I'd like to do the interior but cant justify spending £2000 so I won't.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Fit a plastic cup holder :D

philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Monty-4 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:57 am I would do a "peak Issigonis" build - a lowlight with a flat-four engine and rear torsion bar suspension!
Agreed. That would be great if cost was no object. Would love to see Issigonis' unadulterated design and see how good it would have been had the bean counters not decided it was too expensive. I'd quite like to a new version of the that one off lowlight traveller whic was seen in Kenya I think.
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

Twin ASMs
(Audi seeking missiles!) :lol:

mowogg
Minor Fan

Post by mowogg »

Personally I would not replace the interior unless i really had too as a last resort. The original seats look somewhat different to the repro ones.

For my car i have actually bought a spare set over the years tucked away in the loft, in case i ever need it. Its duotone, and repro ones i have seen are nothing like the original ones

But its your car, so you should do as you please. One thing to consider, is the original trim can almost certainly be sold on to close the cost down a little?
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

Grumpy21 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:36 pm Oops, this was meant as a conversation starter as I've seen on other platforms, not should I do the interior or not.

What would YOU like to do to YOUR car but cant justify the expense?

On my Traveller, I'd like to do the interior but cant justify spending £2000 so I won't.
Same as you. I’d like to refurbish my interior in leather and replace my carpets. Too flipping expensive though. Might do it at some point in the future.
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com