Basic information please

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
rudging
MMOC Member: Yes

Basic information please

Post by rudging »

Hi, just purchased 'Norman' a 4 door 1970 after my first Minor was stolen in 1980! My assumption is that the fasteners/bolts etc are UNF/UNC and I need A/F spanners? I could also do with a picture/description of an original jack as I have seen at least 2 types on offer and there isn't one in the car. Any help gratefully received - Colin
James k
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Basic information please

Post by James k »

Hi,

The fasteners are an eclectic mix of various standards. There is a sticky thread at the top of the mechanical section that lists the various thread sizes. I've always managed with AF and metric spanners and sockets, with the metric including half mm sizes, but this isn't ideal.

The jack I have is a tall red scissor jack which I believe is original. I wouldn't trust it to jack the car though.
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

This is similar to the type I have
1535642613987370480601080964190.jpg
1535642613987370480601080964190.jpg (39.59 KiB) Viewed 475 times
rudging

Post by rudging »

Hi brilliant, thanks. Have found the technical section now and the thread info. Thanks for the pointer - Colin
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

I wouldn't use the original jack, the jacking points are marginal when in good condition and their position means they are the first thing to corrode, I didn't even bother re-fitting them to ours, We just carry a scissor Jack.
rudging

Post by rudging »

Hi thanks that’s a useful tip. I was concerned how to change a wheel if I got a puncture. Cheers Colin
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Hi Colin

As other people have suggested, use the original jack for a showpiece and get either a scissor, bottle or small trolley jack for actually using.

In terms of spanners, I'd recommend you get yourself a set of whitworth spanners as well as AF as many of the fixings will be bsw threads.

Philip
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi, just purchased 'Norman' a 4 door 1970 after my first Minor was stolen in 1980!
Hi,
Sadly not so uncommon, we even have a stolen Minor's section on this site (look under the board index). Was it ever recovered or do you think it's still out there somewhere?
While some are found many are not. There was an old chap who had his stolen a few years back, that I believe even made the national papers**, it too featured on here but I don't think it was ever recovered, not that I heard of anyway...... :(
Best wishes,
Mike.

** Found it:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=62986
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
rudging

Post by rudging »

Hi, no it was never recovered. It was a blue 2 door reg MEG 759 with a sprite engine. After a suitable period I reclaimed the registration and, by sheer coincidence, gave it to my daughter Meghan. Cheers Colin