Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Sheffield Roads

Post by PaulJohnson »

:wink:

Hello Everyone

At the moment Iam not a happy bunny!!
Thanks to the state of Sheffield`s Roads

My 1970 Moggy has a broken R/H/S Shock Absorber.

from what I can see the arm has come away from the link unit.

I have tryed bashing it, pushing it but it keeps coming apart.

Is it Better to buy a new one or for a better ride can the whole back units
be took out and replaced by moden shock absorbers (Which Ones?.)

Ta Ta
Paul
fweddy
Minor Fan

Post by fweddy »

Can't answer you question direct but do make sure both are matching - i.e. if you replace one with a new one do both, or if you replace with second hand make sure they are both as worn. We had a car and every time you went up one of those rises which put your tummy in your boots the car would pull to the left - when you went down one it would go to the right. It proved to be one rear shocki.
[img]http://home.ripway.com/2004-2/65427/Sig.jpg[/img]
Cam

Post by Cam »

Best to replace the whole unit if it has fallen apart. it sounds like the nut holding the arm onto the main unit is still there? if so then it must have broken internally so you will have to get a new one - and I'm sure that the supplier won't take your old one in exchange if it's that badly damaged so that it can't be reconditioned.

Although you should replace the shockers in pairs, and I do recommend this, it is not always essential. If your other one is still functioning correctly then it will be doing the same job as a new one. The only disadvantage is that you will have to replace it at some point in the future. Most people like to do them both while they are at it.

If you want to replace your shockers for more modern types, then you can. I have SPAX adjustables - available from most Moggy suppliers (Morris Minor centre in Birmingham, JLH, Bath, etc) BUT you will have to keep the original shocker as well as the top arm is the top suspension arm! So if yours has fallen apart you will have to get a new one anyway.
Gareth
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Gareth »

Oh, and write a snotty letter to the council. It won't get you anywhere, but reminding them where their transport maintenance budget should go might make you feel better!
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery