Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Budgie
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

to garage or not

Post by Budgie »

Not quite as the title says but what do the good folk on here think , would do .I have my convertible tucked away In a dry garage but have been hankering for a two or four door for some time now and have been to see one or two [but sadly didn't turn out quite as advertised :roll: ! ].The problem is although I have plenty of room on my drive I do not have a spare garage to pop them in as one has my tourer in and the other has two motorbikes in them. So would it be such a problem to buy one and leave it outside to the elements [I'd love a traveler but this would definitely require garaging for obvious reasons.]I know that some of you use your moggy as a daily runner so this probably wouldn't concern you but just trying to justify my purchase in a strange way really. !
Chris Williams
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: to garage or not

Post by Chris Williams »

Maybe the cheapest way of (partly) protecting a saloon is do as I do with mine,I bought a tailored car cover for my 4 door saloon,it seems to have kept the car as no worse off as being in a garage,although it wasn't cheap at £160.Thoroughly recommended though,you'll find them advertised in minor matters!
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I have a saloon and a convertible and have done for many years. Both are in good condition. The convertible has never required any welding repairs underneath due to regularly rustproofing. Both live outside all year round and both are used most days.
I've never had any sort of cover.....
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You could always put it in a tent and blow damp air over it...... :roll: :lol: Unless it's an everyday 'runner' - Minors really do need to be at least under a good car port, and much better in a ventilated garage ideally attached to the house for some warmth. Unless you get MUCH better weather than I do up here in Ecosseland! ?
ImageImage
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I see what you did there Roy!! :lol:

Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

If the car is washed of salt and dirt and the drainage holes are clear it should never rust... right? :roll:
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Aye right!! :cry: :roll:
ImageImage
midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

bmcecosse wrote:You could always put it in a tent and blow damp air over it...... :roll: :lol: Unless it's an everyday 'runner' - Minors really do need to be at least under a good car port, and much better in a ventilated garage ideally attached to the house for some warmth. Unless you get MUCH better weather than I do up here in Ecosseland! ?

Machine Mart "Instant Temporary Garage". They sometimes have time limited VAT free deals on these.
I got this one for £350 odd. Best to have hard standing to erect on, but can be mounted on earth.
Storage at the moment for me, but I plan to use as "body shop" later.[frame]Image[/frame]
John
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

How are the Machine Mart Instant Temporary Garage fixed to the ground John?

midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Anchor stakes in the corners, we bought extra ones off ebay. Supplied ratchet straps run in a loop across the top ridge at both ends. We used extra ones as a precaution in other places. We also placed concrete blocks(left over from a previous project) around the footings to deter neighbours cats from entry, and to fill gaps due to uneven ground.
Will be interesting to see how long it will last. I have found that MM stuff is bottom market stuff, and not for serious use.
Even though we did this ourselves, from start to finish--laying proper concrete base etc it is not cheap with not much change out of £900 to complete.
Doing a good job for now though. Will eventually build proper garage on this base I think.
John
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
That seems cheap to include what appears to be a double concrete base, I take it you laid the base yourselves using a cement mixer?
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

No, too old for that now. 4.5 metres load of premix was the most expensive bit, then some 1 ton bags of rubble,ballast etc.
Hire of a small dumper truck, and steel mesh reinforcing sheets all adds up. We borrowed shuttering for a drink.
John
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

This looks an interesting idea - http://www.gazebox.net/. Another longshot is do you have enough height for a Minor above another? If so, you could put one of these in the garage - http://www.hamercarlift.com/. I would not advise leaving the car outside in the elements.