Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Parking Lights

Post by myoldjalopy »

Anyone remember these back in the 60's? I found them in the back of a cupboard and they were used on my parent's Minor 1000 when I was a kid. Hooked over the wound up window glass. They still work! There must have been a connection to plug into in the car but I can't remember what that looked like or where it was. They were required by law for a time, I don't know how long. I'd be a bit worried about draining the battery?[frame]Image[/frame]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Parking Lights

Post by bmcecosse »

I doubt it would last long now - first yob along will rip it off!
ImageImage
viewsonic1
Minor Fan

Post by viewsonic1 »

That's a good point, BMC! I'm actually kicking myself as I saw one at a boot sale last year for a reasonable £5.00. I politely tried to get the price reduced and the seller, equally polite, refused. I walked away hoping he would think about it but on my return, he had sold it. I think they are a great period accessory..
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I came across one myself the other day, quite a nostalgic moment! :D Incidentally yesterday, following traffic coming to a halt, the guy in front gave a good old fashioned slowing down hand signal!! I was quite overwhelmed!!

olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

I have a couple of these in a box somewhere converted to super bright LEDs they looked very bright and hardly touched the battery.

Big Jim
Minor Fan

Post by Big Jim »

I remember a neighbor using one of these , he replaced one of the window with clear glass and hooked the lamp onto a slightly open window

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

That's epic!
MrIan
Minor Fan

Post by MrIan »

Yes my dad used parking lights like that on our mog (still have them somewhere). They plugged into a 2 pin socket under the dash. We also had a kettle that plugged in for a cuppa T !!!!!!!!!!! well a small aluminium kettle with an element probe you put through the lid into the water !! fun times.
Childnurse
Minor Friendly

Post by Childnurse »

Ah, yes. My dad used one of these (very briefly) on his Ford Prefect 100E. As we were living in Scotland at the time and it was bloomin' cold in the mornings he gave up on the light when he got bored with having to hand crank the thing in the mornings!

This was the same car that broke down on the then epic journey from Glasgow back home to Portsmouth. Fortunately, the AA came out and got it going again and told my dad that it would be fine as long as he didn't stop the engine. We were in Carlisle at the time, had yet to deal with Shap Fell (pre-M6) and it was December.

Turned car round, went back to Glasgow.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Remember them well :) they worked quite well in the fog as a marker light
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

But can anyone remember why they were bought in, and when, and why and when they were dispensed with? It was a legal requirement for a while, as I recall.......
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

My series II Jethro has a permanent parking lamp fitted to the offside pillar.
Operates from a small switch under the dash. :D[frame]Image[/frame]

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Yes, quite an improvement over road works paraffin lamps!! :lol:
ColinChandler
Minor Fan

Post by ColinChandler »

Hello all, Replying to Jalopy, I vaguely remember my Dad having one because at that time, all cars had to be lit when parked on the road at night. Batteries of the day weren't that good so this was a way of having only one bulb rather than all 4 sidelights on. I think the law was changed so you didn't need to have lights on in a built up area/30 mph zone/where there were street lights. Something must have still been required in some other countries until quite recently because my neighbour had a VW which used to put on the front and rear sidelights for whichever side the indicator stalk was set. He used to indicate, swing on the drive, switch off the ignition and then go indoors leaving the side lights on for whichever way the indicator hadn't been cancelled from. It didn't show up that well when it was light but obviously did when it was dark.
Cheers, Colin.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Thanks Colin. It seemed a short-lived affair, if I remember correctly. A brief episode in British motoring history....
mike1864
Minor Fan

Post by mike1864 »

Back in the 70's (at least in London) you were supposed to have your car lit, either with these type of lights or the usual side lights, if parked on a bus route. But the requirement must have been rescinded when street lighting got better. (Or maybe bus drivers' eyesight improved?)
Big Jim
Minor Fan

Post by Big Jim »

olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

I did this led conversion a few weeks ago to get a brighter parking light using less energy, Its just a T11 blulb with multi LEDs
and a piece of plastic from an old laptop screen to make a difuser.

oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

LEDs are the way to go, but do remember that modern lead acid automotive batteries are not made for even relatively shallow discharge. Battery life will be shortened.
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

Modern batteries seem to be ok, but i have had a few just last a couple of years and they were not bronco brand ones.