Advice on buying a Convertible please.

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
neilmorey
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Advice on buying a Convertible please.

Post by neilmorey »

Someone said that they didn't recognise WRCC, it is West Riding Classic Cars who advertise MMOC magazine.
I have no knowledge of them but the name rang a bell.

http://www.westridingclassics.co.uk/?bo ... arch_nonce

Would have thought the tired looking project car could be completed for considerably less than another £10k +? if it is as sound as they say.
bjm38
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by bjm38 »

I'd steer well clear of West Riding Classics - please PM me for reasons why, I'm not sure how the mods would feel about me "venting" on here!

Bernard

Stuartandsue
Minor Friendly

Post by Stuartandsue »

Went away on holiday so I was disappointed I missed seeing the blue one mentioned earlier but I am starting our search again as from today.

The wife likes the idea of white or the light blue (as do I)

I will try eBay again and auto trader and the for sale section on here (checked the latest owners club mag and the for sale section already), could anyone suggest anywhere else I can look please ?

Closes one to us on eBay is 120 miles away so am thinking this might be a bit more challenging than I first hoped

There is a convertible in the for sale section on this site but its a bit too far to go distance wise just on the chance its a good example I think and also its not the ideal colour for us, it would be about 6 hours there and back from here...

We wouldn't mind so much travelling a long way if it was a definite good original example with the original engine and reg plate in the right colour though.

I am hoping my "requirements come preferences" aren't narrowing down my chances of finding one for this year too much...

White or Light grey or light blue colour
Original 1098 engine & gearbox
Really good solid or properly restored underside
Clean bodywork as I cant do bodywork
Prefer one with good chrome
Door shuts don't close with people sat in it (tips I received from here, thank you)

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

The "carandclassic" website has a good number of cars for sale. Worth a look as well. You are narrowing the choice down a bit. I don't blame you for doing so but you'll just have to be prepared to wait a bit until the right car comes along if you want something specific.
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by SteveClem »

You mention that you are Notts/Derbyshire border...must be near us? Do you fancy coming round to talk minors? Don't know much about convertibles but we could show you a nice saloon and a traveller. Oh,
and various other waifs and strays. Pm if you fancy a nosey and a glass of wine. We're near Belper.
TFM150K
Minor Fan

Post by TFM150K »

Ey up! You've now got three pages of mainly good to excellent advice and if you haven't yet made contact with one of your local branches, then DO SO! I looked at about twenty convertibles before I bought mine back in the 1980's and kept it for25 years. I spent more time underneath with a little plastic screwdriver knocking the floor with the blunt end than I did looking at the pretty bits - so if you don't know the vehicles, take someone who does with you before parting company with your hard-earned. I appreciate that you are MoT man, but there are still specifics that a long-term owner/restorer will know to look for and could save you from your own (quite natural) enthusiasm! Spotting a good post-production convertible is no easy task if the person that has done it is good at detailing - but as long as it is done PROPERLY, a good one can be as good as an original - it depends what you want. Be patient = be happy! And be aware that a lot of white ones did not start off white - the wedding trade may have been involved in the colour-change!
Good luck!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Don't fret about the 'original 1098 engine' . You're not Wayne Carini !! As long as it has a good 1098 engine - that's what matters. i would ask to see a compression test done (nice even 160 psi hot all 4 pots) if you are paying 'decent' money for a car - and hot oil pressure too . Certainly you don't want to see the oil light flickering at idle after a good long/hard 'test run'. But check it hasn't been disconnected. The engine number is only a little metal strip and can easily be made and fitted if you really 'must' have a matching numbers car. :roll:
ImageImage
AliceDurose
Minor Friendly

Post by AliceDurose »

We did a 200 mile round trip to go and take a look at my Morris, and the same again to pick him up. But he was worth it :)

I think everyone has factors when looking for their dream car, I wanted the interior to be as original as possible, the earliest car I could afford/find in the right condition, and wanted the car to be Grey, Black, Green or Dark Blue ideally, as well as being sound as I have no knowledge or experience and couldn't have taken on a resto. But my main compromising was budget. Everyones always got parameters they're working to, you might have to be prepared to bend them slightly in the end, but Im sure you will know the right car when you see it.

The East Midlands Branch will be at the Autokarna at Wollaton Park on Sunday if you fancy popping along and seeing us. Im throwing a big picnic for the branch, so if you fancy a chat and a bit of grub you're more than welcome, there will be lots of friendly folk there who could give you some sound advice and tips, without a doubt :)

Stuartandsue
Minor Friendly

Post by Stuartandsue »

Yes we are really pleased with the advice given, we are going to Wollaton on Sunday..

To be honest we are thinking now that colour isn't that important...

There was a light blue one at Chrich Tram museum (they had a bit of a car show) a few weekends ago with a red interior and we both loved it... we sat on a bench for a bit hoping to speak to the owner but unfortunately he didn't come back to his car..

Stuartandsue
Minor Friendly

Post by Stuartandsue »

I like the one on ebay that just says blue morris minor convertible but its down in Kent... too far...

ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

I'm afraid you will have to be prepared to travel to get the car of your dreams. We got ours from Hampshire, We had to go down there to view and then again the next week with a car transporter to bring her home as she had not MOT. Unfortunately the good ones are never near home wherever you live! :wink:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Stuartandsue
Minor Friendly

Post by Stuartandsue »

Yes I don't mind travelling for the ideal car.

Just got exited when I saw this one come up on ebay, Morris minor 1000 convertible...

Its a white one, I am looking at one of the pics (the one where its done up as a wedding car and the drivers door seems out of line, there seems to be a large gap at the top, I don't think this is normal)...

Its a later model than we were hoping for but we realise wont get everything first time and we want one for this year, we can always swap it when we find the perfect one if we still like them later on... we might get aa good deal in the winter..

This one is only 85 miles away too, could someone have a quick look for us please ?

In the meantime I will email and ask if its a conversion or an original convertible.

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Do you have a link for the the one you're talking about? Or the item number or something at least?
Stuartandsue
Minor Friendly

Post by Stuartandsue »

Hi sorry its 142012691672

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Easier if you put up the listing,,,, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Morris-minor- ... SwtJZXUHbT It's MUCH less tidy under the bonnet - and seems to be missing the engine steady bracket. As ever - no underside pictures which are the ones that MATTER... And those ghastly/dangerous 'peaks' and a ladder rack on the boot lid for some reason ??? Ask for many underside pictures.....and let us see them please. Check the MOT history - it had 'excessive corrosion' in 2013. Has that been properly repaired - it has had passes since, but to what standard was the repair done- properly? Or MOT Pass ? And ask where the engine steady has gone.... ALWAYS check the MOT history of any car you are considering...
Last edited by bmcecosse on Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

It looks very "painted up" to me. It's very WHITE and very little was removed prior to the respray - although they DID take the rear wings off which is a good sign! Lots of paint on rubbers etc and tatty under the bonnet - engine steady bar broken off etc.
Door fit looks pretty average. I don't personally like the customised interior but maybe you do. It is a 1964 car which was re-registered they say. They probably have some paperwork to show that. My guess would be that is a converted saloon at some time because they don't state that is is an original one. There is a reserve on it so who knows what price they are asking??
Definitely a car to look at before you buy and particularly the underside. £2000 worth of work doesn't actually go THAT far in professional restoration costs nowadays.
Stuartandsue
Minor Friendly

Post by Stuartandsue »

Hi Its an original one they say ("T" on chassis), would it be worth 6k if I could get it for that ?

Even if it might need some underbody work ?

I presume the engine steady bar wouldn't be a big job ?

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

NO! And how can a car be legitimately 're-registered???? Did it come in from overseas?? Ask about that... I suspect that's where the 'T' came from - it may have assumed the Reg Number of a real Convertible when it was 're-registered'.....but is actually a saloon. What's the body number? Pass that to POMMreg and he will tell you the age of the shell. Does it have the Convertible reinforcing plates - and no interior light switch holes?? And to not do under the bonnet is just being cheapskate when doing a full respray - where else did they cut corners? Ask to see under the sill covers - it's only a few screws to remove them, and if they want the sale..... If they won't - start running. I would hate the interior - but each to their own... Underbody work can cost far more than the car is worth... Walk away if it's not perfect.
Last edited by bmcecosse on Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

Stuartandsue wrote:Hi Its an original one they say ("T" on chassis), would it be worth 6k if I could get it for that ?

Even if it might need some underbody work ?

I presume the engine steady bar wouldn't be a big job ?
If it needs underbody work doing I would not be paying 6k for it. It could cost up to £1000 just for the sills replacing, then there is the work to do after the welding is done to bring it back up to spec.
My advice would be be to search VERY hard and be prepared to wait for the right car, especially a convertible. Remember these cars are 50+ years old and once rust gets hold in the hard to see places they can be a money pit.
We don't want to put you off minor ownership, you don't want to buy something then have to spend a couple of grand getting it right.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
Stuartandsue
Minor Friendly

Post by Stuartandsue »

Going to have a look so I have printed off the "Buying a Morris Minor" article from this site to take with us

After hearing the advice given I will have a good look underneath, I used to be a MOT tester so I know what underseal can cover up so I wont be 100% sure no matter what but will take a bright torch and a bit of card to lie on have a tap about underneath.

I remember testing the MK4 and MK5 Cortinas years ago and the chassis rails used to rot at the front and the jacks used to go through the rail so a common thing people used to do was stick the end of a cornflakes packet over the hole, body filler or fibreglass over it then underseal it and then when you tested it even though you suspected what was under it it used to sound and look ok when tapped so you couldn't fail it, just pass and advise... if I see any thing like that I will walk away.

It came from Jersey apparently & the boot rack isn't on it any more.

Could someone tell me how I can easily check if it is as the vendor claims a genuine convertible ?