Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
austinh7
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Brake disc conversion identification

Post by austinh7 »

I've recently acquired a Morris 1000 with a few modifications and am in the lovely position where one of the front callipers is sticking.

The problem I have is I am not sure what the exact part is that I need to order, I'm assuming I should get a pair of new callipers plus hoses, (the hoses are in pretty nasty condition and may as well be replaced at the same time.)

Photo below shows the slider part, it has Ford and CN5 on it. I'm not with the car until later when I get back from work if more info is needed.

greendefender123
Minor Addict

Re: Brake disc conversion identification

Post by greendefender123 »

Looks like ka or very similar. Let someone else confirm. I just put new ones on my partners ka, eurocarparts are good and were cheap with a discount code.[frame]Image[/frame]
austinh7
Minor Friendly

Post by austinh7 »

Thanks! Hopefully I'll get there in the end. Frustratingly in the paperwork was a print out from a thread on this forum when it was sold a few years ago but the thread has been deleted from what I can gather.

Now at home I have had another look at the main part of the calliper, can't see a part number but P30 is cast in.

MrIan
Minor Fan

Post by MrIan »

Looks like the same ford type kit I have on old Boris Minor. Not much help mind you as it was on when I bought him so not sure what ford they're from. If it's sticking a piston and seal kit for both calipers should sort it unless it's being held on slightly due to the master cylinder not having been modified (seal removal).
Is yours vented or solid discs ?
Std minor stud pattern ?
austinh7
Minor Friendly

Post by austinh7 »

Thanks MrIan. Vented discs and have the standard Minor stud pattern. Went into local motor factors this morning and after some umming and arring they think it's Sierra. Parts should arrive this afternoon so going to check in a bit, will report back.
MrIan
Minor Fan

Post by MrIan »

Yes it looked like Sierra to me when I searched a while ago but the majority of info I found showed and related to vented disc kits. Boris Minor has solid discs not vented, the caliper looks exactly the same mind you so maybe I have an earlier or lower spec kit here on Boris, he also has alloy hubs for std Minor stud pattern.
austinh7
Minor Friendly

Post by austinh7 »

Just picked up a new calliper. It's Sierra.

Now to try and sort out the hoses.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Have to say - 'vented' discs are way overkill on a standard or even lightly modified Minor. They will never warm up to a decent operating temperature - and unnecessary extra unsprung weight. Plain discs would be much better. The pads look quite small ?
ImageImage